• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II 550 + Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H = 1066?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parasight

Hey all, first time posting, although I've been getting information from the forums here for a while. Tried using search, but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

This is only my second system build, and I'm having a little problem configuring my new memory.. not sure if its something I'm doing wrong, or a compatibility issue I couldn't foresee. At any rate, I can't get the new memory to play well with the other kids at speeds above 800, which is where it defaults to when everything is set to auto.

Here is what I have so far:

AMD Phenom II 550 X2 processor (not currently unlocked or overclocked)
Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H rev 1.1 motherboard (latest bios update)
OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 2x2gb
OCZ Modxtreme 600w PSU/NZXT Beta Evo case

I have the voltage set to 2.1v, timing set to 5-5-5-18... will not make it through 12 minutes of a prime95 blend test without stopping.

ran prime95 for 12 hours prior to memory upgrade (had 2gb of ultra 667 in there left over from my old system), no issue.

ran same test for 8 hours with memory at 800, no issue.

any ideas on something I could be missing?

let me know if more info on anything is needed.

Make sure you're running either the F6 or F7 BIOS, that you have 1 stick per channel installed (not both sticks installed to the same channel), then give these settings a try...

Code:
*MB Intelligent Tweaker M.I.T.*
Advanced Clock Calibration
EC Firmware Selection [Hybrid]
Advanced Clock Calibration [AUTO]
CPU Clock Ratio [x15.5]
CPU Northbridge Frequency [auto]
CPU Host Clock Control [Manual]
CPU Frequency (Mhz) 200
PCIE Clock (Mhz) [auto]
HT Link Width [auto]
HT Link Frequency [auto]
VGA Core Clock Control [enabled]
VGA Core Clock (Mhz) [550]
Set Memory Clock [manual]
Memory Clock [x5.33] 1066Mhz

*Dram Configuration*
DCTs Mode [unganged]
DDRII Timing Items [manual]
CAS# Latency [5T]
RAS to CAS r/w Delay [5T]
Row Precharge Time [5T]
Minimum RAS active Time [18T]
1T/2T Command Timing [2T]
TWTR Command Delay [4T]
TRFC0 For DIMM1 [195ns]
TRFC2 For DIMM2 [195ns]
TRFC1 For DIMM3 [195ns]
TRFC3 For DIMM4 [195ns]
Write Recovery Time [6T]
Precharge Time [3T]
Row Recharge Time [25]
RAS to RAS Delay [4T]

System Voltage Optimized
System Voltage Control [manual]
DDR2 Voltage Control [+0.300v] 2.100v
Northbridge Volt control [normal]
Southbridge Volt Control [normal]
CPU NBRID Control [normal]

Some of these next settings assume you're using the on-board video (ATI HD4200), and not using an add-on video card....

*Advanced BIOS Features*
Internal Graphic Mode [UMA]
UMA Frame Buffer Size [Auto]
AMD CIE Support [disabled]
Virtualization [enabled]
AMD K8 Cool & Quiet [enabled]
Away Mode [disabled]
Backup BIOS to HD [enabled]
INIT Display First [on chip vga]

Power Management

ACPI Suspend Type [S3(STR)]
HPET Support [enabled]

hmm..

the extra cores unlocked, but I was trying to get the memory stable before doing that.. I think I'll need to put a better cooler on before doing any overnight stress testing.

can I revert back to two cores by changing the ACC/EC firmware selections back to normal?

System runs stable with 4 cores for 13.5 in Prime95 hours without issue.

When ram settings are changed to reflect the above recommendations, the test fails within minutes each time. I've tried with dual cores as well as with the additional two unlocked.

Any other ideas?

The chip has unlocked multiplier for NB, HT, and CPU. You can raise the multi on any of them to get a bump. The reference clock is like fsb. It should be at 200 or so. The NB speed, cpu speed, and HT link is all correlated to the reference clock and so is the memory.

You can raise the multi on any of them to get higher speeds or you can raise the reference clock and everything would go up in speed.

Back