• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM annoyances part 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desmondo

Registered
So at this point I removed all my old RAM, and simply got all new modules.

The new modules are 3x Mushkin DDR2-800 PC6400

with factory settings of 1.8V 5-5-5-12

Problem is, my computer will occasionally BSOD (Win XP) - but memtest86 has done 4 clean passes, 0 errors.

I'm using manual set factory settings as listed above.

My mobo does not have manual voltage lower than 1.85V . . .

I have left it on "auto" - hoping it gives the modules the 1.8V that is their standard.

What are your timings and what is the Ram Speed. Using CPUZ open up the CPU/Memory Speed windows and screnshot.

yeah that should help I mean 1.85V is really high for stock voltages

1.85v is not high at all for DDR2. Actually fairly low....

Try bumping the voltage to 1.9v-2.0v (even though its rated at 1.8v) see if that fixes the problem, although if memtest is going well, its probably not (doesnt hurt to try though).

Are you overclocked? BSOD isnt always RAM. Did you have the same issue with old ram (Im thinking as you changed all your RAM out)? If so, it might not be the RAM, could be a PSU issue or motherboard.

Can you list all your system spec's and overclock if any?

Currently not overclocked at all.

RAM factory recommended settings: 1.8V 5-5-5-12
Current: AUTO VOLTAGE // 5-5-5-12

September 2006 rig w/ GPU & PSU mid-life upgrade:
Mobo: P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
CPU: Conroe E6700 @ 2.67GHz
PSU: 850W PC P&C Silencer
GPU: BFGTech 9800GTX+

The old RAM issue was it was total ****! Really bad Ballistix DDR2 800 PC6400 series. . . a module just died, and wouldnt let the PC boot - so I got 3 new modules (1GB each, Mushkin, above specs, running XP Pro)

Why use 3x 1gb sticks? That would put your memory in single channel mode. Have you tried using just 2 of the sticks, with 1.8-2.0 volts and maybe loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 just for kicks to see if anything improves?

I'll try to loosen the timings.

System was stable for about 2-3 days, until apps started crashing today - repeatedly (MS Excel and Firefox) - reboot the PC, all fine till now.

No BSODs again though :|

5-5-5-12

5-5-5-15

Both causing instability - seemingly randomly...

Either random BSOD (usually in the morning when I wake up, I see it)

OR

massive program instability that randomly starts.. and then stops after a reboot.

So at this point I removed all my old RAM, and simply got all new modules.

The new modules are 3x Mushkin DDR2-800 PC6400

with factory settings of 1.8V 5-5-5-12

Problem is, my computer will occasionally BSOD (Win XP) - but memtest86 has done 4 clean passes, 0 errors.

I'm using manual set factory settings as listed above.
Run 2x sticks. I assume since you are on DDR2, you dont have a S1366 board which runs triple channel.

I would honestly sell those for 2x2gb sticks.

that is quite strange. the factory voltages are a little high.

yeah that should help I mean 1.85V is really high for stock voltages
here we go again........:sly:

Still unstable, been running 5-5-5-15 for several weeks now.

So you guys think it's the fact that I have 3x 1GB sticks (Win XP) that is causing the issue?

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT:

Memtest 86 v3.5 ran for 4 hours - ZERO errors

Prime95 RAM-focused test blue-screened the PC after about 30 minutes.

Could be something other than RAM that's causing all this?

Last edited:
Seagate SeaTools seems to be showing issues with both of my HDDs (one more so than the other). . . time to move to HDD section I guess....

Back