• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnd0ps

I had this problem since I upgraded to Windows 7 64 Ultimate.
My screen would hang randomly , if there's music or sound it would replay its last second over and over again. nothing will then work, not even alt+ctrl+del.
The last time I had it I decided to wait abit and see what would happen, it BSOD'ed and said something about un-executable memory.
My rigs an old Core 2 quad Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz, the RAM's are a pair of kingston hyper X ddr2. Can anyone help?

Hi!

I'm new to overclocking myself and have started to see crashes and bsod's as a result of that.

Have you tried un-overclocking your CPU to see whether it boots?

I'd set the bios back to defaults and try that to see what you can eliminate as the cause.

Also, it won't help me but it's probably worth posting your motherboard details and also your ram timings and voltage (and how many gigs the sticks are too)

A memory error could be due to you having the wrong voltage or settings in the bios so check that.

Also I think that 32bit windows only acknowledges 3gig of ram, whereas 64 can use a lot more.

If you've only just gone to 64bit maybe that's got something to do with it?

Sorry I can't help anymore, but if you give more info then hopefully someone else will be able to help you out : )

Indeed we need alot more info of your specs:

Cpu / Cooling
Motherboard
Ram
Power supply

The specs you posted is pretty general. Need to be more specific.

Btw, Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

I did set my mobo back to default, don't get the wrong idea but my rig boots just fine, even under OC circumstances it just randomly hangs.
I'm runnin an Asus P5ND system,
the RAM is a pair of Kingston KHX6400D2/1G DDR2-800 1 gb sticks,
the timing by default wouldve been 5-5-5-15 ,
its now 4-4-4-12,
My chip is an air-cooled Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0 Ghz,
FSB 1333, RAM 1066 (linked 3:2)
vCore 1.3250
RAM voltage 1.990.
NB 1.24
HT 1.22
SB 1.50
thank you.

OK, great, just re-installed W7,
it hang -ed again.
I have no other explanation for this.

Hard lockups and / or looping / distorted sounds are normally caused from a lack of Vcore. Using Real Temp--> "Settings" page make a note of the VID of your chip, then locate the stepping in the "Revision" field of CPU-Z--> CPU tab. Next use CPU-Z to record the loaded Vcore while running Prime, and compare the two readings. If the recorded Vcore in CPU-Z is lower than the VID as read by Real Temp, then you'll need to increase the Vcore until the two voltages match (a reading in CPU-Z that's slightly higher than the VID is fine, but you don't want to see a lower voltage.) Also change the RAM timings back to 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V, and the FSB : DRAM ratio to 5:6 for an effective 800MHz DRAM frequency at a FSB of 333MHz.

Thank you. My VID in real temp is 1.3, and CPU-Z shows my v-core as 1.24, even during Prime. My vCore voltage in BIOS shows 1.31875,
but somehow the highest it ever went on CPUz is 1.26, should I underclock ?

Bump the Vcore by .06V, so change the current 1.3175V to 1.3775 - 1.3800V

Also enable LLC if you can (did not see your mobo maybe you cant)

Reedduc knows more than I. but always found those symptoms to be mem related. vcore/cpu related leads to restart.

I would go with mem issue which could be NB on 775.. since that is part of the same subsystem

I had my vCore set at 1.3125,
it just hanged again.
NB voltage is raised to 1.3
I'm beginning to suspect a software flaw.

Indeed we need alot more info of your specs:

Cpu / Cooling
Motherboard
Ram
Power supply

The specs you posted is pretty general. Need to be more specific.

Btw, Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

You still haven't posted your specs mentioned by Nebulous.

Have you updated the drivers for video, sound and chipset?
I would try this since its only started happening since you installed Windows 7. You should get the latest drivers from the component maker's website.

Last edited:
Also have you upgraded the bios lately as have been reading allot of issues causing BSOD on both Ausus and Gigabyte Mobo's running Win 7 Ultimate x64 have been resolved with a Bios Update

May Help!

All right. I raised my vCore to 1.36, CPUz shows 1.31 so thats fine.
My BIOS IS the newest version.
I just reinstalled every single driver in the system, it still hangs at random.
My specs are:
Q6600 G0 stepping stock cooling
Asus P5ND nVidia 750 chipset (SLI) vcore1.31 BIOS 1204 1333FSB 3.0Ghz
2X1 gb kingston hyperX DDR2 KHX6400D2/1G running at 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2.010v
Enermax 460 watt power supply,
SeaGate Baracuda 250Gb

try loosening the timings to like 9-9-9-24 and see if it still hangs.. that's pretty loose and would see if its the core or memory in your way

I noticed something you said you 'upgraded' to windows 7, i'm assuming this means this same computer was running before on a different OS. When did you OC? Before or after the install of the new OS. I think you need to post a time-line of events so the geniuses on this forum (not me) can identify where it went wrong (in the hardware or software).

All right.
I upgraded from Vista 64 ultimate, was running fine,
My ram timings are no2 8-8-8-20
. My rig BSOD'ed twice and this time it shows something about system files being violated.
I think this is a software flaw,.

Back