• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slross83

starting to oc and have a couple questions. first off here is the setup

q9300 (333x7.5) stock

(400x7.5= 3000) currently

790i ultra mb

4gb DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) 4x1

question 1

if i leave my ram on auto in bios it sets it to 1333 and run the fsb at 1600 (400x4) i result in a 6:10 ratio. which memory benchmarks show is a greater performer than if i were to run my ram at 800 which would be a 1:1 ratio(but better timings this way). Is it okay to leave it a 6:10. its an average of almost 8% increase.

second question.

i thought the memory was only as fast as the fsb wall am i mistaken? if so then why the increase in performance

and lastly

if my ram is rated at 1800 shouldnt my max speed i can set in the bios be 900. But by default it sets it to 1333 and wouldnt that mean i was running 2666? which by the way is how its been for the last 2 years

It's ok to leave it if you get better performance and your stable.

Memory performance is a combination of frequency as well as timings, sometimes looser timings yield better performance due to the higher frequency (increased bandwidth).

Your memory rating does not effect max settings in BIOS, its just what its rated for.

I hope that helps a bit, someone else will be buy soon who can explain more precisely - I'm not that good at this.

Remove the two sticks of RAM from slots 0 and 2, and run w/ only 2 sticks installed in slots numbered 1 and 3. Make sure EPP2.0 is enabled in the BIOS, then set the DRAM Frequency to 1778MHz at a FSB of 400MHz (9:20 FSB : DRAM ratio), and the four primary timings to whatever the RAM is rated to run at. With a default FSB of 333MHz, the BIOS defaults to a 1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio, which results in an effective 1333MHz DRAM frequency (333MHz x 2). You might also want to link directly to the specific RAM you have, showing SPD timings and voltage at DDR3-1800, and also note the exact model board you have (not just "790i Ultra").

i understand that i need only 2 sticks to run those speeds. 4 will not do it. but id rather have 4 gigs of ram than 2.

Back