• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 x 2Gb or 2 x 4Gb; Which is a better configuration?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jumpin Jack

Hi,
Is there any advantage in running the same spec ram but having 2 x 4Gb over having 4 x 2Gb sticks?
In relation to the performance of the ram and/or the performance of the motherboard?

As ram is sooo cheap atm, was thinking about going to 8Gb but was wondering if there was any effect to the different configurations (apart from probably price)

Thanks.....

lots of 4GB ram sticks and they're actually getting reasonably priced. Higher density sticks allow you to expand memory beyond what you could with lower density sticks(obviously) but they also may potentially perform better and/or reduce latency.

For example...the mobo I'm currently on is the GA-EX58A-UD3R. I decided I wanted to go with 12GBs of ram and the only reasonably priced path to this end was 6x2GB sticks. Using this configuration however increases the Dram command rate from 1 to 2 and may further hamper overclocking or require additional voltage for the same overclock. Now with 4GB sticks nearing(at) the $150 mark a 3x4GB configuration could be considered as an alternative. Retaining tri-channel bandwidth, lowering the command rate back to 1 and allowing for up to 24GBs of system ram.

Usually more sticks puts a little more stress on the memory controller, and reduces command rate from 1 to 2. So you may suffer some slight bandwidth loss, or may have to put a little more voltage to the controller. But to get 8gb.. 4x2gb would be your cheapest option over a 2x4gb kit.

4 sticks of ram is going to limit your overclock and possibly your ram speed. I currently am running 4 2gb sticks of 1066 ram rated at either 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 (I don't recall exactly). My current mobo only supports 2 sticks at 1066 so I have it downclocked to 800. 4 sticks also puts more stress on the memory controller and I've found it limits overclocking a couple hundred mhz.

If you are looking to overclock your system to the max get 2x 4gb. If you have money to spend get 2x 4gb. If you don't care about getting every last mhz out of your cpu and memory then go for 4x 2gb. It is cheaper and will perform almost as well in benchmarks are pretty much just as well in day to day apps.

Last edited:
Back