• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just cleaned the block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elfie

Heatkiller 3.0 Cu. My temps were a shown as a few degrees higher than they were about 3 months ago. I did add an HD4870 to the loop but after temporarily removing it last night there was no great change in temps so I dismantled the block to find a build up of black gunge. I'm not sure where this came from as I did the radiator dance before fitting and only use distilled and PT Nuke. Some of it looked like very, very fine hairs.

HKGunge.jpg

Hmm, odd. Did you clean out the rad prior to installing it in the loop? Maybe something left behind during manufacturing of the rad?

I've been lucky I haven't found any foreign contaminants in my loop. Using distilled water and PT Nuke as well.

Hot water, and vigorous shaking quite a few times for every rad that I use with a final rinse through of distilled. Nothing was visible in the drained water after a few flushes. I flushed through the pump and res as well.

Wow, then it is strange. I'll keep an eye out on my setup just incase. Glad you found out early. If you had waited long, it could have been disastrous!

One thing I've realised I didn't do was to dismantle and check the block when I got it:eek:

I've noticed the water is moving much more vigorously through the res now. It must have been adding restriction.

Removing the gunge has resulted in a 4ºC drop in load temps at 4.2GHz, 1.33v. I think I'd better dismantle and clean the whole lot.

Last edited:
That sounds like a great idea. As a rule I normally wash out my whole setup every 6months or so. Also after buying new/used parts I'll wash them out thoroughly a few times before I mount them.

Its been my experience with other types of water systems that plastic hoses build up static charge when handled and can pick up a lot of hair and other various types of particles and fibers. This is particularly true in drier climates, or if you own pets. I own several cats and it never ceases to amaze me that their hair gets into Everything!.

Back