• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair h50 screws info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

hey all,

i just bought a corsair h50 and would like to set it up in a push pull configuration. i was wondering if anyone knew any information on what the thread pattern/type on the screws were. i'd like to get another 4 screws so that i can mount another fan.

thanks

I'm pretty sure it's a 6-32 thread. Can't believe I didn't note it in the review but apparently I forgot, sorry about that. That is a typical rad screw threading though and I did operate it in push/pull, so I had to have used something and that something almost certainly would have been 6-32. Would have had to look harder for anything else and it took me no time to find the proper ones to use. So logically, that's what it should be. :)

great!

i will try to pick up 4 of them.

i am currently running the system with the stock corsair fan. i am going to upgrade to two Scythe Slipstreams in push pull to try to squeeze the maximum performance out of the h50.

i bought two ultra kaze's to use, but they are simply way too thick. i guess i'll have to use them as intake exhaust fans.

@hokie,

did you try using a fan controller to control the rad fan/pump unit? i was thinking that it might be useful to be able to manually control the speed of the pump/fan so that i could assure they were operating at capacity when the cpu was at load.

The pump should be connected to full power all the time, no matter what. If you use a MB header, be sure to disable BIOS fan control for that header. If you use a fan controller, leave it on full all the time.

As far as the fan, the stock one is PWM and I don't have any PWM controllers, so I let the MB control it. The extra fan I added was on a fan controller.

I have a new CPU and am going to have to retest the H50 at some point to keep comparison data. This time though, I'm going all out on push pull. I've obtained some 25mm thick Delta 3,400 RPM, 110'ish CFM screamers to see what sort of heat it can really dissipate. :p

PWM fans have a 4-pin plug.

If you plan on connecting multiple strong fans to that controller, don't. Especially the Deltas I was talking about. The deltas are .8A/ea (9.6W), connecting more than one of those to that controller will kill the channel.

The slip streams are rated at .53A, which is less, but if you were planning on putting two on one channel, it's awfully close to the rating of your controller. I wouldn't chance it.

Is there a more robust controller that you would recommend? I suppose I could use the Scythe Controller for the intake and exhaust fans that came with the case only or use it in another build.

I like the Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme on a budget. They're about $30 and can handle 30W/channel, more than enough to cover two of the deltas. If you want some bling, I've recently gotten a Lamptron FC-5 and it's really nice. It can also handle 30W/channel.

I was looking at the Rheobus Extreme... If I used that, could I put more than the 2 Deltas on it? Essentially I am looking for a Controller in which I can actually use all of the channels without worrying. With the Rheobus or the other controller that you linked, would I be able to run 2Deltas and 4 other more pedestrian case fans?

You could run two Deltas on one channel of either of those controllers without issue. Three would be under the specified 30W rating, but only just. To be completely positive, always do the math. Volts x Amps = Watts. So in the example of the Deltas, 12v x .80A = 9.6W each. The slipstreams are 12v x .53A = 6.36W each. Same applies to your more pedestrian fans. As long as you don't exceed 30W, you're good to go!

Also running my Delta's @ 5v (non-fan controller). Have 2 of them @ 5v on my H50. It does an EXCELLENT job. In the end, that great H50 write up on OCF sold me on it (I think it was you Hokie?, thanks :) ). I definitely like it more than the TRUE.

so i found the screw size 6-32 by 1 1/4. Thanks hokie!

check out this review:

http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

now i just have to find a place to get the screws. it doesn't seem home depot sells them. thus i think i am going to have to order them online. the smallest quantity i can get from mcmaster is 100!

yikes. they are only like $5 for a 100 so i guess it is no big deal...

Check out your local ACE or True Value hardware stores, that's where I got mine. They usually have a much larger assortment of hardware than the big box stores.

Back