• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just a couple questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haggenator

Registered
Just a couple easy questions for the experts.

I have this pump. The D5.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd12v-d5_pump-fixed-speed-by-laing.html

Is there a bad way to position this pump? I wanna connect it on the wall of the case. So the outlet port would be sticking out horizontally.

Next question, Is there a max number of molex connector fans I can daisy chain together? 120mm to be specific.

Finally, I am experienced in water cooling but have never used quick-disconnects fittings. Any thoughts on them? Good, bad, or ugly?

Thanks for the replys!

Rule of thumb for anything with parts that spin, is mounting needs to be horozontal or vertical, but nowhere in-between ;)

As for daisy chaining fans...you have to first know the quality and size of the 12V wires (the yellow one coming off the PSU into the molex connector, probably 18 gauge). Secondly, get out the calculator and add the amperage off all 12V devices that you want to run in parrallel (daisy chain). The limiting factor will be the max amperage that the yellow wire can handle...just stay below that limit (also, keep in mind other devices on the same wire (but plugged into other molex adaptors). Typical medium speed fans don't draw much, so it would take A LOT!

I've been using Koolance "no spill" quick disconnects for a few months. As a bencher who might switch HW out 2 or 3 times in a single afternoon...I'd have trouble living without them now that I'm used to them. I have two pairs of male connectors, one on my CPU block, and one on my GPU block. When I'm testing the CPU, I use water. After I get my settings dialed in, I mount my LN2 pot, and connect up my GPU block. It's very handy.

However, I did kill one eVGA Classified board due to a torn seal on one of the fittings. So be sure to check for leaks before powering on your system each time you reconnect ;)

^^ what he said.

the 655/D5 is fine any way accept for the intake facing down.

as for daisy chaining make sure not to put more then your psu can handle from the 1 wire. for reference i run 18 fans (at 5 volts) as well as 2 pumps and i think 3 other fans all off the same group of molex plugs.

Back