• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to this, need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ntino

Registered
I have never had a water cooled system. However, I have put together multiple systems, but always felt that a good aircooled system is a better and cheaper choice for me.

Now here is a problem - since a little while ago, my HD4870x2 has been going up to insane temps - nothing changed in the case, the only thing changed is windows 7 - and only in full screen mode. windowed mode - everything is fine, there is no dust - I dont know what the reason is - these normally run hot but now under windows 7 it went crazy, there are a number of other people on AMDs forums with the same issue.

Anyway, I think water cooling is a good option for me at this point. I want to water cool my i7 and the 4870x2.

I did go through a couple of different posts here, but I imagine I need a really good cooler to put the heat out of the 4870x2, i7 puts out alot of heat as well...

Price isnt really an object, but I would like to stay within reason.

What do you think is the best choice for me, I have looked on petra and jab-tech but just not sure what the best is.

I was looking at the
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swh2ulcpulic.html kit and getting a
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swca48cosy.html to cool the 4870x2.

But maybe that kit is abit underpowered for my application?

Also, do i need a chipset waterblock? if so, my mobo is the asus p6t deluxe.

And if it matters my case is and older version of the XCLIO Windtunnel , but with the same fan configuration. can be seen here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103011

Thinking about this from a mechanic perspective, a bigger radiator is ultimately going to be the most important part.... but thats just my guess ...

I see that there are a couple of different pump options - the larger pumps seem like they would be loud... can I get away with something like the MCP355 ? or do i need a MCP 665? I would think speed shouldnt be as important as long as I have a big radiator that gets really cool.

Help is needed :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
thats a good starters kit and should do good for the i7, but im not sure the single rad can handle the extra output of the x2 as well.. even with push/pull config on the fans (which is suggested with or without the x2 added into the loop)

I'll move this to the water cooling forum for you, since you are more likely to get help there. ;)

I will soon be moving up to an i7 system too, but I already have a good loop in my system which won't need much if any alterations for my upgrade.

Looking at the kit you linked, you are going to need way more rad to cool both cpu and gpu. I would also add at least an MCR320-QP to that kit and use both rads.

I think the best way to go about this is to start with a bit of research as you already have started to do
Here is a link for the stickies here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092
There you will find tons of good info and will make it way easyer for your selve when you are about to start assembling everything
I'm wishing i had all this info available when i first started watercooling since it would ceept me from doing some mistakes
It will take some time to read it but in the end it will absolutly be worth it

I will do some more reading, I actually thought of going with maybe a 4x140mm radiator, my question is more of pump and what parts I should cool on that mobo(not really looking to do much overclocking if any, atleast right now).

I am actually familiar with flowrates vs head pressure ect, plumbing, ect, since I have built a very large saltwater aquarium(about 600gallons), and believe it or not, iwaki for example, makes the same/similar pumps for aquarium use.

I believe a high head pump is much better than a high flow pump atleast for aquarium use, as even a 1/2" tube is abit small for anything over 300gph, but larger tubes would be a waste, because most of the heattanks have less throughput than a 3/8" tube, therefore all that larger tubing is in effect wasted.
you could of course do a parallel system vs an in line one (splitting the output from the pump to the different components, therefore reducing head resistance of each component, but at expense of flow rate.
However, from looking at the specs, most components dont offer head resistance graphs, so its hard to judge....

Anyway, it would be nice if anyone with similar system has ideas for me.

120.4 will be enough to cool an O.c i7 (maybe at 3.6 Ht on) and a 4870x2. Not the best temps but way better than on stock air cooling. Since no O.C atm that will be more than enough.
Mcp 355
swiftech mirco res res/top combo.
Mrc420 (4x120mm) rad
Tubing : Primochill - Any colors.
Coolant : Distilled water + pt nuke (3.25$)
Cpu Block : GTZ or Xt (xt>Gtz)perfo 2degree lower- Price (GTZ<XT) dunno.
Gpu Block : the one that u linked.
Barbs : silver plated one :)
Clamps : Metal one. (worms clamps)
Fan : Quality one --- Gentle Typhoon 1450/1850 (around 14-16$ each)or Cheap one --- YL L/M/H speed 3.95$each

Edit : For cpu+rad+pumps+res = 246$ on sidewinder
Add 25$ for barbs/clamps + 20$ on 10feet of tubing 45+246 = 291.
Add +100$ for Gpu block -- = 391$ for CPU/Gpu Loop.
Fan - GT 1850x4 = 56$ ---- Total : 447$ Without Taxe / shipping
Fan - YL Highspeed x4 = 16$ Total : 407$ Without Taxe / shipping

Last edited:
Anyone know if the tubing is any different than the tubing sold at home depot?! looks the same, just curious.

home depot tubing is cheap and kink easily also cloud easily. but since it cheap u can always replace it for low cost.
I love Colored tubing (primochill) are really flexibe and are cheap (at least for me ) 17$ for 10feet ;). give a nice look to your loop and you are avoiding using Bad dyes or overpriced colored fluid.

Last edited:
I have actually decided to disassemble my GPU, and it appears that the stock thermal compound was poorly applied, as well as a bad design for the GPU heat sink, allowing even a small amount of dust to substantially restrict airflow. I cleaned and applied new paste - temps went to around 50-60 idle and 65-80 under load.

However the stock fan is just hideously loud, especially under load, its by far the noisiest part of the system.

I'm also concerned with the 6 HDs that I have in the case catching some of that heat.

Do you think I should still try water cooling, or is it just a waste of money if i dont intend to overclock?

(I'm fairly sure that technically water cooling will be relatively easy for me.)

Back