• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny noises from my D5?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

my d5 just started making really weird noises.
you can hear it constantly spinning up, then slowing back down, then spinning up again, and i can see the flow in my reservoir increasing, and decreasing, with the increased, and decreased noise.
i've tried changing the molex that it is plugged into, and no difference... something weird happening with my pump that i can fix, or is this just my pump warning me before it dies totally?

can we know what collant are u using.
Is it distilled water + pt nuke or
BAD - Dyes Or
BAD - Colored uv fluid
If its BAD dyes or colored uv fluid . take ur mcp 355 apart to see for anything that could mess... also take apart cpu block for a good cleaning.

It could be that your pump is not always full of water doing these weird noise.
Or the pump may die...

last time I had a pump issue like that it was the pumps impeller shaft that had broken off and got sucked into the pipeline... was a crap pump and not a D5 though :)

I would be looking for anything blocking/ partial blocking the loop?

you can break down the D5 easy and inspect the bearings and check for any obstructions.
(just unscrew the casing anti clockwise)

failing that its maybe the motor issue you fear... its normal for pumps to lose torque at the end of there usefull life.

just running distilled, plus a biocide, and it was flowing just fine up until this morning when i woke up.
and sometimes it will go for like 30 seconds to a minute at speed, and the flow looks like it normally did before, but then it will slow down, and start cycling, like spin up for 4 seconds, nothing for a few seconds, spin up for a few seconds, spin back down.
cpu block is brand new, and i took it apart and cleaned it before i installed it.
i guess its time for me to drain the loop again, and take the pump apart to check it out, and while im at it, i guess i'll take apart the cpu, and gpu blocks again, to check for any blockages, although im unsure as to where any blockage may have come from, unless something unstuck itself from inside one of the rads, despite me doing the rad dance with both of them when they were new, lol.
if it is the pump, would you guys recommend i get another d5, or a 355 with aftermarket top? my loop consists of a GTZ cpu block, the mcw60 gpu block, and two mcr 320's

edit: oh, and im pretty sure the pump always has water, the res is pretty darn full, with a good foot of tubing running prettymuch straight down to the pump, i can see there is no air in the line, if there was, it would just go right up, and out to my res.

Last edited:
so did the noise start after you changed something in the loop?

it started like a little over a week after i put in the new waterblock.. i did take the block apart and cleaned it before i put it in the loop though.
bleh, i suppose its time for some downtime, time to take the loop apart again.

bleh, just took the loop apart, but the stock hsf back on the video card, put the true back on my processor, took apart both the blocks, they are both nice and clean, took apart the pump, it looks free and clear of any blockage, put the pump back together, went and found an old power supply, rigged it up to run on its own to check out the pump in the kitchen sink, filled the sink up with water, plugged the pump in, with a piece of tubing from the inlet, and the output of the pump both going back into the sink, and i get the same weird behavior :(
i guess this means the pump is fubar'd, eh?
shame, its not even a year old yet...
so, with the loop i have, do you guys think i would be better off getting another 655, or a 355 and an aftermarket top for it?

my concern is its too much for one pump "in the long run"

my loop had one more block a NB block and I was advised to use two pumps.

expect opinions will vary, ive always used two on my long runs and the two D5`s havnt died.

too much resistance for one pump you figure? i only got like 6 feet of tubing in there, its a short run, lol ;)
damn, this will be an expensive fix.. i dont think i have room for another d5 in there, and the bank account isnt gonna be happy with me buying two 355's with aftermarket tops..
damn HAF needs to be bigger, theres no room left in there!

D5 vario on about half speed shouldnt give up in a hurry... then take the next six months to figure out what your gonna do to stop it happening again maybe :shrug:

I know you can use one like that for some time on a crazy restrictive loop, just dont thrash the poor thing.

edit: take time to make sure there was no foreign and possibly free moving obstruction anywhere in that loop, could be what killed it.

Last edited:
yeah, MCP655 vario.
and i think that i'll just keep my true, and the ****ty stock gfx card hsf on for now, and buy myself a 355 and top, then let the bank rebuild itself for a lil bit, then get another 355 and top for it, might run two seperate loops if i end up doing that, maybe not though, theres enough tubing clutter in there as it is. cause im 99% sure i couldnt fit another 655 in here, but two 355's look like i should be able to fit them easily.
case really got crowded after i stuck the second mcr320 in there, can barely get the side on anymore! lol.

check the returns policy on that D5 ..............(#Laughs# and thinks of friend whos paid £35 to send his PSU back to corsair)

investigate the problem beyond the pump and get more opinions here on if it was enough or just maybe defective.

should state its expected life span somewhere out there... think your about five years short :-/

2 pump in the same loop also adds safety ! thats the main reason why i have 2 MCP655 in my loop.

yeah..
hopefully i can figure out whats up.
all the water came out nice and clear, no gunk, or floaties in it.
got the loop setup beside my sink, and it seems to get decent flow while the pump spins up, and flow dies when the pump isnt being noisy..
bleh, stupid pump screwing up... time to email swiftech i suppose

Sounds like the pump is on it's last legs, dyckah. Is that a Swiftech D5 vario? If so, it should still be under warranty if it's less than a year old.

As for a new pump, I really like my MCP355/XSPC rest top combo. It pumps well, is pretty quiet and is easy to bleed and is very compact. Personally, I like to have a backup pump handy in case of problems such as this. I had a D4 pump go out on me last year; just started squealing like a stuck pig out of the blue one morning. And it was less than 6 months old too.

sent an email in earlier today to swiftech, and gabe promptly replied, saying that he was forwarding my email onto the RMA department. still waiting for an email back from them, although i expect that wont be happening until after the weekend.

as others have said see if it's RMA'able.

as for it needing another one, you don't. that pump is plenty strong. i can run my whole loop (look in my sig for specs + about 15 feet of tubing) with just one of my D5's on and still get acceptable to good flow. the only reason i run 2 is for safety mainly and also because i had one left over.

Back