• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

managing 12 gigs of mem in windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereoud7

Registered
i think i can probably configure how windows is using my memory better.

see this image for some info on what programs i am running and how things look so far:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/allpartitionsandparts/777mem777.jpg

***was running a virus scan at time this image was taken.

- windows says i am using about 4 gigs of ram at any given time.

- what is a HARDFAULT/sec?

- i know that with all these programs running windows is using my hard drive to scratch disk. not the worst thing in the world, have 4 samsung f3s in RAID 0, but with 12 gigs doesn't seem like it should have to.

- my CPU is keeping up nicely with all the demand i put on it. have a 920 @ 3.85. (I love hyper-threading)

- hard drives could probably be running a bit faster but i'm happy with them, just want my memory to be used efficiently.

- have 64 bit windows 7 pro.

- everything is pretty much at default settings except write back cache is enabled.

- if anyone knows some good tweaks to get this thing moving better please let me know.

shut down the pagefile. I do this on my 12GB+ setups and never have a problem, though you could exceed that if you ran VMs or the like.

Go to System properties --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced --> Performance --> Advanced --> Virtual memory --> Change --> No paging file.

Alternatively you can set this very low...like 1/4 available ram or even less, but oddly enough there tends to be more whining from setting this very low than turning it off completely. IE...your computer is very low on virtual memory...yada yada.

Go to System properties --> Advanced system settings --> Advanced --> Performance --> Advanced --> Virtual memory --> Change --> No paging file.

Alternatively you can set this very low...like 1/4 available ram or even less, but oddly enough there tends to be more whining from setting this very low than turning it off completely. IE...your computer is very low on virtual memory...yada yada.

tried it with virtual memory turned off and kept locking up. i do tend to have alot open at once. so using a slave drive as page file drive now. seems to help. set page file to 10 gigs

strange. I routinely fill 4 monitors with VMs and don't lock up. Something you're running is behaving poorly.

Back