• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel detection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sidkin

Hi everyone,

I've tried to install my 4 DDR memories in dual channel mode. I know how (matching the colors of the sockets) and I've also read the manual of my motherboard to verify the set up of the memories for a dual channel mode (which is the same, I have to match the colors of the sockets).
However, Cpu-z (version 1.53.1) doesn't detect it nor does Everest (Ultimate edition 5.30.1900). The screenshot from cpu-z is attached with this post. In Everest, the active mode is "Single Channel".

My motherboard is: Asus PTGD1-LA (Grouper) , Chipset: i915G

By the way, I've tried every possible set up. And I have 2 Kingston memories 1GB PC-3200 (same speed, same everything) and I have 2 other 256MB PC-3200 hynix memories. At first, I put those two pairs in dual channel. Since the programs did not detect the dual channel mode, so I took out the two hynix memories and only tried with the Kingston pair. Result: Still the same, Single channel.

There is no option in the BIOS.
Is it because my motherboard is too old for the programs to correctly detect it (which seems weird)? Do I have to do something on the motherboard first?

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• cpu-z.JPG
    cpu-z.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,252
With only the Kingston installed, they should be in slots A1 and B1 (blue slots) or A2 and B2 (black slots) for a dual channel config. With all four sticks installed the RAM needs to be set up like the picture below, and also meet the following criteria...

Matched DIMM configuration in each channel
Same Density (512MB, 1GB, 2GB, etc.)
Matched in both Channel A and Channel B memory channels
Populate symmetrical memory slots (Slot 0 or Slot 1)

Attachments

• dual4.jpg
    dual4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,142
Thank you for replying.

I've already tried these configurations and like I said, I've tried with all four sticks first (with same configurations as shown in your picture) and then I only used my 2 Kingston memories to try dual channel mode. First, I tried slots A1 and B1 (since the colors are matching) and then I tried A2 and B2. Results: Single channel mode is detected. So after I tried A1 and A2, B1 and B2. results: Single channel (of course).
My problem seems more complex... Right now, my configuration is exactly like the one in your picture, but the programs are still showing Single Channel.

Do you think my motherboard has a problem? Or maybe the memory slots?

Are you running Vista or XP? CPU-z doesn't always detect memory setting correctly in Vista unless you "Run as Administrator".

I'm running on XP.
I'm just wondering why it's not in dual channel mode... I just wanted to do one last upgrade for my old computer.

I ran Memtest and it shows Dual Channel (Interleaved)
So actually my pc does run on dual channel mode, but I don't understand why Everest or Cpu-z can't detect it
Oh well...
Thanks for helping! I appreciate it.

That's an HP or Compaq PC, right? Sometimes OEM motherboards just don't report things correctly inside Windows. Are you running an Administrator account in XP?

Yea, my old computer is actually an HP compact. And yes, I always run on an administrator account in XP.

Back