• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Watercool My Motherboard ???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yiannis667

Registered
Hello , i am using Gigabyte x58 ud7 LGA 1366 motherboard on a Thermaltake Armor+ LCS case ( 3/8 tubes ) ...

My problem is that the H clip upgrades for cpu waterblocks ( 1366 H clips ) They do touch the cpu backplate,the chips in it and the soldered pins of the mobo and some other chips ... So i decided for my own sanity to take that type of Bracket off the system ...

Then i found this waterblock ....

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.650880&u=THERMALTAKE-CL-W0168-PWB100-CPU-WATERBLOCK

But no matter it says its compatible with LGA 1366 there is no way for the push pins to go all the way down in my mobo , as a result it gives me an idle temp of 63 celcius !!! core i 7 930 stock speeds ....

Not to mention that i was pushing hard and heard << bad sounds >> coming off the board :shock::shock::shock:

Finally i ended up using the intel stock cooler fan !!!!

1st question : if i did damage to the mobo i was supposed to notice it right ? my mobo works fine without any issue at all so is it okay ? did it survive my abuse ?

2nd question : IS THERE A CPU WATERBLOCK THAT IS COMPATIBLE WITH MY MOTHERBOARD ? Most cpu waterblocks for lga1366 use H clip brackets that dont do well with my mobo,they also use push pins that are too short for my mobo and some others use backplates that are as well not compatible with my mobo..

So what am i going to do ?????????????????? :shock::shock:

PLZ HELP !

firstly ditch the thermaltake water cooling would be my best advise.

most top end blocks don't use H brackets.

ek supreme HF, swiftech apogee XT, heatkiller.

going by the link you have limited sources for water cooling, i would stick with high end air.

Another (BIG) +1 here!

med-high end air cooling = better than TT WC! Well, atleast more reliable :)

well i appreciate your concerns

as for thermaltake i use it 2 years now without a problem , and saved me a lot of trouble and hard to find parts / compatibility with system watercooling accessories at least were i live

i am not saying thermaltake uses << GTX >> class cooling parts but is pretty much the only all in one solution were i live , otherwise i had to purchase ( if i was lucky enought to find ) incompatible parts..

ex. radiator,pump,hoses,etc etc

and also conversions and watercooling accessories are VERY HARD to find here ( greece )

i found on ebay ( germany ) swiftech gtz lga 1366 waterblock , it seems to be compatible with my board , it does use a backplate tho but bigger than the one cpu has so i guess i wont have an issue with it ..

however the swiftech XT version is not supported for my motherboard due to the capacitors it has on its back

even if i wanted to use air cooling HIGH END for my cpu , currently were i live in this market there are about 5 coolers available that i would describe them as if i was using intel stock cooler !

i sent a message to the seller just to make sure ..

Last edited:
Back