• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water level indicator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
I'm finally getting round to building a watercooling setup and was wondering if anyone here has made a setup with an integrated water level thingy.

Perhaps i'll be the first! :D

all res's have a water level indicator. just look into the res to see if there is enough water :)

I've thought about a low-level indicator using an LED laser and photocell. You align the laser and photocell near the top of your fill tube and at an angle (maybe 45°) so that when the tube is full the beam will shine through the surface of the water. Since the surface will deflect the beam it won't hit the photocell unless the water in the fill tube drops below a given level, at which point an indicator would be triggered by the photocell. Crude but simple and it should work. Never got around to building it, though - I decided the Mk 1 was just as good ... :)

I would think you could use almost any automotive coolant level sensor.

Drill a hole in your resevoir at the point you want the water level indicator to come on.

Run 12 or 5 volts to it (whichever version you have). Put an LED in the circuit which is installed somewhere in the front of your case. When the level drops the LED turns off, or wire it so the LED turns on. Shouldn't be too hard.

If your real ambitious, you could buy the variable sort with a float, and install a gauge so it would show full, half empty and empty like a car gas tank.

but as pointed out it would be more costly than cutting a sight glass in.

Another alternative is you can use a Plexiglas tube into the side of the reservoir that runs at the same level to the side of your case. The level inside the reservoir will be the same level as inside the tube.

Last edited:
^^ #Laughs# exactly what I thought last night

#Laughs some more...#

im torn as to which is more funny, this or the looks I got at the local shop earlyer for buying five litre of vinegar and two packs of fruit skittles... all i wants clean blocks and no froth in my wet`n dry cleaner :screwy:

It's a simple switch. For some unknown reason he decided to connect it to a fan header on his motherboard. I'd give him a Darwin award, but he lived.

ya reed switch for an open closed type circuit. on the koolance site it shows a special style of plug so i want to know how get even plugged it into the mobo header in the first place. was pretty neat though.

Back