• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600Mhz faster than 2000Mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

325cic

okay, I am confused.

I overclocked my cpu to 4420 (210x21). if I run my ram 2:10 - 2100Mhz 9-10-9-T1, it bench much slower bandwidth compare to run at 2:8 - 1680Mhz 7-8-7-T1. I thought higher ram frequency will have bigger bandwidth. In this case, it's almost cut bandwidth in half.

so, why need higher than 2000Mhz rams?

You have three variables changing, the RAM speed, the timing and the divider. It shouldn't be half the bandwidth, but the latter setting you posted (1680 7-8-7) should have more bandwidth. Some motherboards also have a "problem" running a certain divider. Some dividers may be faster than others and you really just need to play around with them to get a feeling for what your system is capable of.

If nothing changes (timing) and you increase the bandwidth, it should be gaining bandwidth linearly.

You have three variables changing, the RAM speed, the timing and the divider. It shouldn't be half the bandwidth, but the latter setting you posted (1680 7-8-7) should have more bandwidth. Some motherboards also have a "problem" running a certain divider. Some dividers may be faster than others and you really just need to play around with them to get a feeling for what your system is capable of.

If nothing changes (timing) and you increase the bandwidth, it should be gaining bandwidth linearly.

If I run 2:10 2100Mhz rams at 7-10-9-T1. bandwidth will reduce even lower. So, It's not relate to memory timing. it has to be some other timing change when divider is higher cause overall bandwidth drop.

oh well, I changed back to 2:8 1684Mhz 7-8-7-T1 with 1.5V. I play with it more if we have memset that work for MSI x58 :santa:

You can think of the speed of the RAM as a measure potential maximum bandwidth. The tighter the memory timings, the closer you come to the max bandwidth. The more loose the timings become, the less bandwidth you have.

So, I could envision a situation where your timings are so loose that you actually have less bandwidth than if you ran the memory at a slower speed with very tight timings.

I got it!!!!! damn, only one setting change affect that much bandwidth.

change B2B Cas# to 0 ( disable), it will boost for bandwidth to maximum. I was set to 13 (auto default for divider 5x).

Back