• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD! is this ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pwn'd

Registered
Hello all and thanks for even looking at this post, i also posted this thread in windows OS as i wan't sure which to post it in)
heres the scoop im making my latest build and have been getting the all mighty BSOD.
here are the specs-
Intel i7 860
Msi gd-65
WD Cavier 808gb
Corsair Xm3 ram
Ati radeon 5850
Corsair 650 modular power supply.

Every time i attempt to install Windows 7 (oem home premium). i get Bsods. im getting a different Bsod every time! However here are the most common ones
- MEMORY MANAGMENT
- irql_not_less_or_equal
other times i get the bsod that says nothing just 'have you installed new hardware, etc.?'
I'm sure it is not the motherboard as i have tested it on my friends i5 system.
I personally think its the RAM (i have correctly installed the dual channel memory). what are the possible issues? is it 100% bad memory?

try each stick by itself. If one doesnt work, then thats the bad one. If none of them work than rma all ur sticks. The error messages you are getting are directly caused by the memory so investigate those.

Before you RMA needlessly.......... (come on jarl........)

What EXACT ram do you have (a link to the product page would be great)? What timings and voltages are suposed to be stock? Are they set to those timings and voltages? I would look there before you RMA the sticks. Is everything seated properly on the motherboard?

Last edited:
It wasnt thorough was my point. There is more testing that can and should be done before RMAing in this case. Im betting its a setup issue.

as EarthDog mentioned, i would suggest checking your settings in the BIOS. i take it that you are attempting to install at completely stock speeds, correct? if not, i would just try to reset the bios settings to defaults and try again. i always keep a memtest86+ cd around in my toolkit. memtest86+ will be able to diagnose your ram to see if it is throwing any errors. if it does throw an error, i would suggest running one stick at a time as jarlmaster47 suggested to see if you can identify which one might be the culprit.

Can i run 1 stick at a time if it is a dual channel set? i know its a n00b question but this is my first expierence with dual channel memory

OK so i tested one memory stick at a time. They both gave me Bsod BUT they were different Bsod messages.

For ram stick A: Windows informed me it could not communicate with the disk(s). followed by a blank bsod

For ram stick B: it attempted to install but failed with the Bsod Memory_MAnagement.

What do i do? Could this be a bad hard drive?

Last edited:
Why are you continuing to try and install Windows without first testing the RAM w/ Memtest86+ like mbentley suggested? And did you manually adjust the timings to 9-9-9-24 at 1.6V like ED suggested? Also, I assume you installed the two modules to DIMM1 and DIMM3 for a dual channel config.?

Last edited:
memtest86+ will most definitely tell you if your ram is bad (if you are running the stock timing and speed). that would certainly be the very next thing you should test with.

I checked teh timings and voltages which apear to be correct on default in the bios. I reattempted installing windows using 1 stick at a time which i thought might tell me which stick was bad if one of them was bad.
I will download and run memtest asap.

Last edited:
I ran memtest86 (with both sticks at a time) for 6 hours and it passed! so... where do i go from here?
Could this be a Hard Disk problem?

Assuming you have the HDD connected via the P55 chipset (On-Chip SATA Controller), and not the JMicron controller, is the "RAID Mode" option in the BIOS set to AHCI or IDE?

The Raid setting came up as IDE. Does that mean im using the P55 chipset? should it be? (the hdd is sata).

Last edited:
So just to be clear... RAID Mode is set to IDE, and not AHCI?

Attachments

• 1256097767gVlF4T9zyw_2_5_l.jpg
    1256097767gVlF4T9zyw_2_5_l.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 247
crystal clear it came up as 'IDE'. where do i go from here?

Last edited:
Well, I plugged in my old HD with windows Xp installed, and i ran into no problems. I guess its safe to assume its a lemon hard drive?
now that i have a working OS is there some software i can use to test the other hdd?

Back