• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final Check before ordering...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tharepairguy

Registered
well i have been lurking/planning for about a year now and i'm about to start the ordering process. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first WC'd PC.

Parts i have now...
I picked up 2 of the danger den kits from frys on closeout a while ago with the idea of using the pump/rad from one kit and having a backup pump. I would love to sell the 2 cpu blocks and radiator to recoup some $$.

The kit came with:

-Universal Mount MC-TDX CPU Cooling Block
-Black Ice Xtreme II Radiator w/ medium YateLoon's
-D5 Fixed
-Delrin Cooling System Fillport
-Pre-Cut Tygon

Here's a pic of my system with the proposed mounting/routing. This isn't going to look pretty but only took a couple minutes in paint :) I havn't checked out which is in/out on the XT yet so my paint job might be bassackwardz.

BlackDeathWC.jpg

These are the things i need to order:

-Primochill T3 (i know its a gamble and i might regret it)
-Swiftech XT
-Bitspower Black Rotary Compression fittings (90's and 45's)
-Bitspower Temp Sensor's (installing it in the T3 and outlet of Rad)
-Primochill Black 1/2 x 3/4

I'm installing the radiator with the fittings towards the front to help bleed out the system because the T3's fill ports are on the front and you have put the case on its back to fill.

Questions:
1 - I'm guessing this is the best way to mount the radiator in my situation to get the air out?
2 - I'm using compression fittings because of the way they look. Am i going to have any problems with leaks in the future?
3 - I'm not looking for any crazy Overclock's, will this rad be enough for my i7 920 @ 3.2..3.4ish? Maybe 4.0 if it helps with BFBC2...
4 - What to use for biocide? Since most cannot be used with the T3...I was thinking about using a piece of silver tubing from the Res/Pump to the Rad, would that be long enough to make a difference with the biocide also?
5 - I have extra Scythe 1600rpm fans. Would i benefit from push/pull vs the extra noise? I was planning on a push since i want to use a 90 degree out of the radiator to keep it as clean as possible... I might swap out the 2x120 for a 3x120 in the future and would like to have it some what plug n play.

Thx in advance!

1- Yea most likely.
2- Not Really if u tight them correctly.
3- 3.4ish will be enough fro a double sized rad. if uwant 4.0 u wont have good temps. (80ish ithink)
4- PT NUKE! - Or u can u use 2 true silver barbs instead of a silver strip :0
5- U better using the same type of fan with same rpm or it will increase noise. Push/pull is better than pull only...
Try to avoid too much 90 / 45. They reduce the flow. Not by a lot but :)

-Primochill T3 (i know its a gamble and i might regret it)
This is important, I'm glad you did your research on it. They ARE coming out with a new one eventually and have been talking about it for a while. If you haven't already, read through this thread at XS for people's issues. It's a great performing res, Skinnee (or Vapor?) was beside himself at how well it does. Unfortunately it doesn't look to be very durable.
1 - I'm guessing this is the best way to mount the radiator in my situation to get the air out?
Doesn't really matter - it's horizontal either way. It does look to be the cleanest/shortest tube routing, so I say go with it.
2 - I'm using compression fittings because of the way they look. Am i going to have any problems with leaks in the future?
Not because of the compression part. There is always a potential with rotaries when dealing with a multi-part fitting that has a little o-ring in it. Just do occasional checks and keep an eye on them during routine maintenance. Some people use them forever without issue, some have leaks.

I prefer barbs to be absolutely certain. Unfortunately for tubing appearance's sake I've also had to go with a 90deg rotary barb. Hope it doesn't let me down! :)
3 - I'm not looking for any crazy Overclock's, will this rad be enough for my i7 920 @ 3.2..3.4ish? Maybe 4.0 if it helps with BFBC2...
3.2-3.4, it should be fine. 4.0, not so much. It'll almost certainly be better than your current cooler, but for better results I'd recommend an inexpensive Swiftech MCR320 - especially since it fits so well with that case internally. Plus, since you have those kits, selling them with the radiators as most of a kit (sans pump) might make it easier.
4 - What to use for biocide? Since most cannot be used with the T3...I was thinking about using a piece of silver tubing from the Res/Pump to the Rad, would that be long enough to make a difference with the biocide also?
I'd go with a silver kill coil and/or silver fittings. If you use true silver fittings where able you shouldn't even need to worry about a coil. Unfortunately they don't make rotary true silvers that I can find and it throws off your whole black theme. I think a kill coil is your best bet.
5 - I have extra Scythe 1600rpm fans. Would i benefit from push/pull vs the extra noise? I was planning on a push since i want to use a 90 degree out of the radiator to keep it as clean as possible... I might swap out the 2x120 for a 3x120 in the future and would like to have it some what plug n play.
Push-pull will gain you some, in fact I'd recommend it if you're going with the 2x120 for sure. Less so with the 3x120. If you put them on a fan controller, the extra noise will only be when you need it (for gaming/stressing the system). :)

1. it's not the best position for fast bleeding if thats what your getting at but it will be fine the way you have it.

2. no more then barbs and clamps assuming properly installed and they don't fail. i've never heard of any issues with them.

3. that size (rad) is the minimum for i7's so i don't see you getting high overclocks and decent temps from it.

4. pt nuke or a silver kill coil, not tubing. if you go with tubing i would do the whole loop in it.

5. i would opt for push pull if your going to use that size rad, just undervolt them when not doing anything cpu intensive.

I have an xtreme II x flow, and I am running 4ghz on my 860 folding 24/7. Fans on low, core temps average in the mid 60s. Highs in the low 70s.

thx for all the reply's. i still havnt pull'd the trigger on the T3. Still dont know if i can support someone that in a way, stole the design since he is no longer giving geno a cut of the sales...

but darn it, it cleans up the loop o so nicely...

version A's seem to have fixed the failures. i might wait a bit longer to see or wait for version B's. Cant seem to find all the fittings in stock at the same time newayz @ sidewinders...

Back