• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should I bother getting a ram fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looks cool and only 20 bucks id do it..
also i live in the desert and i never touch my air conditioner so i know how ya feel and it does effect it a little bit

any other opinions? I probably will get this but I wanted to see what other people think

According to one of the newegg reviewers, that kingston RAM has a temp sensor on it? Can you pull temps from Speedfan or at least temps from near the RAM slots?

If you have good airflow through your case you can probably passively cool the RAM. Also, if you have two open RAM slots, I suggest placing the sticks in the slots farthest away from the HSF...that will get you cooler temps.

Here is a review on the HyperX cooler that I found helpful: http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13014&Itemid=1

It looks pretty cool, but its BIG. Make sure you can clear your NB and HSF with no problems.

Good Luck!

actually I had another thought. do you guys think adding this ram fan might block my cpu cooler a bit, lowering airflow?

Actively cooling RAM is a really good idea if you over-volt or overclock it. Ask the owners of countless sets of Crucial Micron D9GMH RAM. lol

Buying a RAM cooler is fine if you don't have any extra fans lying around. ;)

I decided not to buy the cooler. It might interrupt air flow in my case and as the saying goes; if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have made it through a summer before no problem so I don't see why I shouldnt be fine

I dont think you are an extreme overclocker anyway so I would save the money. Good choice. :)

I dont think you are an extreme overclocker anyway so I would save the money. Good choice. :)

well I am an extreme overclocker :attn: but my ram is at 1200mhz and sitting pretty. I just don't want to interrupt the delicate airflow in my case, which I engineered with pinpoint precision.

You cool with D.I or LN2?...In those cases, RAM cooling is is quite helpful. ;)

I pushed a Q9650 to 4.9Ghz on water and my ram just sat there at 1200Mhz+ no problems. Granted thats not daily driving, and only for benching, but I think you get my point. :)

I really dont believe that the "delicate air flow...which you engineered with pinpoint precision" would be terribly affected by a mere ram cooler. Maybe 1-2C at most.

What case do you have? Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Last edited:
i think you dont need ram cooler,it will change your temps a little, and you wont get anything of that, save the money!

My rule of thumb is: If you can't keep your finger on it indefinitely, then it needs better cooling. My crowded four 2Gig sticks got too hot to touch for over several seconds, so I put a fan on 'em.

Watched the vid. Adding that ram cooler wouldnt hurt any. You case air flow isnt managed any different than most people...honestly a far cry from your description!!

But if its not hot to the touch, I wouldnt worry about it. You made the right choice.

Last edited:
Watched the vid. Adding that ram cooler wouldnt hurt any. You case air flow isnt managed any different than most people...honestly a far cry from your description!!

But if its not hot to the touch, I wouldnt worry about it. You made the right choice.

I like to think it is engineered to perfection :D I made sure everything is routed perfectly

This is what I got. Been pretty happy with it on my JEDEC standard DDR2 Gskill sticks.

35-704-001-S01

Last edited:
I have a high CFM 70mm fan from an old Spark7+ CPU cooler with a couple panduit ties holding it to my RAM. Its ghetto effectiveness is outstanding. :D

Back