• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats better, fast 6gb ram or 12gb slower timing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It really depends on your criteria. Are you going to OC? What do you use your rig for? Is price an issue? (Guessing no to that one) Do you actually need 12GB? Most people don't come close to using 6GB, and benchmarks I've seen have shown that 12GB doesn't really improve performance significantly except for in things like encoding or photoshop. The most common reason I've heard for using 12GB is having multiple VM's.

It really depends on your criteria. Are you going to OC? What do you use your rig for? Is price an issue? (Guessing no to that one) Do you actually need 12GB? Most people don't come close to using 6GB, and benchmarks I've seen have shown that 12GB doesn't really improve performance significantly except for in things like encoding or photoshop. The most common reason I've heard for using 12GB is having multiple VM's.

i do plan to do some HD video editting... Im gonna oc my i7 to 4gigs prolly

Well then you'll get a tradeoff between video editing performance and OC. I'm guessing you should still hit 4GHz though. Do a google search for 6gb vs 12gb and you'll find tons of tests.

OCing will be more difficult with 12GB....but the extra mem will be nice for video editing. It's up to you if you wanna put the effort in to OC with 12GB, and accept the possibility of not being able to hit your goal depending on the strength of the IMC.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :thup:

Back