• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My question and situation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodamanjaro

Registered
Hello OC Forums,

I'm building (as of tomorrow) a new gaming rig, which consists of:

core i7 920 (2.66ghz)
6GB 1600mhz
SSD 30GB (OCZ Turbo)
Nvidia 9800GTX
Antec 1200 (full tower)
850 watt PSU
win7 pro 64
Cooler Master v8 heat sink

What my question is: when I get all of this set up, and I DON'T plan to OC (for now at least), SHOULD I plan to WC this? At this point, I've read up on some stuff, I know a lot of people say I should (since it's an i7) but since I dont plan to OC it (and void the warranty for now), would air cooling suffice?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

i would go for high end aircooling in that situation, cheaper and usually more reliable than cheap WC, for the i7 i would suggest Prolimatech Megahalems tower cooler, comes fanless but fans can easily be added.. EDIT: oh sorry i didnt read the post properly, you already have a cooler

If you're not overclocking, fear not, that cooler will be plenty sufficient for your needs. You can even do some moderate overclocking with that setup. Any more than that, come back and we'll talk. :)

Oh, and :welcome: to OCF!

If you aren't overclocking, skip the cooler and just use the factory Intel one, it's fine for stock speeds.

If you do want to OC, then the V8 will do decently for you, though for the same price you can get better.
If you want to OC a LOT, then it's water cooling time.

Wow, thanks guys for all of the help. I really do appreciate the thoughts and after consideration, when I'm done with school (which will be next summer) I'll probably start OCing my i7 (or even an i9 since it might be affordable by then he he) and I'll come back to talk to you guys. I realized that moving my desktop around (coming to and from my college) would be bad with WC in it, so when I have a stationary place for my desktop, I'll go ahead and place the necessary mods for WC.

Thanks again guys!

Warranty? Id ignore that on a pc. on a car as well.

Abuse is considered gaming. Tampering is overclocking. Normal wear and tear or mechanical failure is not really possible. It happens sometimes where its easy, but I doubt the chip will be dead within 3 years.

I say this because my truck is a 4x4. But using 4x4 voids the warranty lol

EDIT:

forgot to mention, video cards is different. Usually EVGA, BFG etc will take care of you regardless.

Back