• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are my temps higher than air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

I've been suspicious of my high temps for quite a long time already but a lot of ppl told me that they were normal for my setup. However I keep running into people with much lower temps or equal temps on AIR!

heres my loop setup:
enzotech sapphire rev. a
artic cooling MX-2 TIM
eheim 1250 pump
2x120mm Heatercore
4x120mm deltas LEAF BLOWERS!

Heres my rig specs:
AMD X2 555BE unlocked to quad 4ghz @1.475v
Asus m4a785td-v evo 2800mhz NB 1.3v chipset and cpu/nb
2x2gb OCZ AMD BE 1600 8:8:8:24 1.65v
Antec TP-750W

My load highest load temps after a hour or two of prime blend is ~52C-53C.
The temps only drop by 1 or 2c after leaving the window wide open and its lke 50f outside. Which is pretty darn cold. Whats wrong?

i would say not enuff rad.....or not enuff air going through the rad....
thats a pretty good oc on that chip not to mention 1.475v....thats some heat load

I would think there is enough air going through the rad with those fans on it... Thats a solid o/c and volts like the double posting boucher91 has stated (hehe) so thats a lot of heat. His second post ask some good questions...

it gets fresh air its mounted on top of the case.
So its blowing IN the case???

Mediocre block and possibly not enough rad for the clocks/voltage would be my GUESS. Hopefully the water guru's will get in her and help.

no. its blowing air against the top of the case.

hmm iono i hear that the enzotech blow is only 1-3c from the highest end blocks like the heatkiller 3.0

Soooooo that would mean you are using warmer case air then, right? In order to get ambient fresh air with a rad mounted inside the top of your case, you would have to have it blowing IN the case. Saying thats all true, that another part of the issue....

As far as that block, I was just going off this review I read a while back...Not sure if mid pack is only 1-3C difference, but I though the heatkiller was a couple C above the previous best anyway.......

well the way its mounted is that its lifted up and cold air is coming from above and then being pushed and pulled down so that its hitting the case.

i've read that review too but i've read other comparison reviews where it went up against like 20 other blocks and it showed that it was one of the top.

the rig in my sig (big rad)....it has 4 high speed yates on a rheobus controller they are turned to almost off prolly around 4volts
i was @4387 with 1.4375 volts highest temp was 43c ambient temp was bout 25c....p95 inplace fft max heat ran bout 4 hrs...
what im getting at is rad size makes a difference....

Ok, I misunderstood. You are getting fresh air it seems...though with it just bouncing off the top of the case it may recircualte it right back....who knows.

Maybe just not enough rad for the clocks and volts would be my guess. I will let the water experts theorize now........

Last edited:
u know its odd though even at full blast on the deltas i can't really feel the air flowing through the heatercore. so u guys may be right in saying its not enough rad. :/

however. I used to get some crazy good temps on my old single core opty 146 @3ghz 1.55v. <40c under load.

the 555be wasn't listed on there but i used the 550be so it should be close. it says Overclocked cpu wattage is 122W. so would my dual heatercore be able to efficiently dissipate that heatload?

the thing about heater cores for them to work efficently they need lots of air......
other rads are designed differently....some are optimized for lower speed fans and so on...
think of ur car theres huge amounts of air that is pushed through the heater core....
but without the bigger radiator in front it is not near enuff to cool that engine...
you may have to do a little searching for different rads and thier heat load capabilities....

I also dont think that calculator knows you unlocked the other cores which will put up that number by quite a bit. Start with a 955 native quad and see what that does..

Id say reseat your waterblock, and ensure you dont have too much TIM (or too little). When you pull it off to reseat it, check the spread. Maybe it wasnt a good spread, or you have a little too much (it happens).

Could be your block is a little loose on your mount. A little goes a long ways.

the number jumped up quite a bit depending on what i set the stock voltage of the 955 to 1.35v yields 185w while 1.4v (555be stock voltage) yields 172w

i've had issues with mounting my block b4. I would get random errors bsods and instability issues when i had the screws too tight on the block. after loosening them they worked fine though. i've checked the spread and about 3/4 the cpu is covered in tim starting from the center. (used small pea method)

To me it sounds like you need a little restriction ( a water jet) at the block, you using 1/2 inch tubiing all around?

yes i'm using 1/2 all around. whats water jet? u want me to slow the flow???

bumsquad, I would think that your double heatercore rad should be sufficient cooling, if you are using a shroud to mount the fans. Are you using a shroud or did you mount the fans straight to the rad? In my experience, a shrouded double fan heatercore is about equal to an MCR320 in cooling capacity. If you aren't using a shroud, search around and you will find some links on how to make a shroud. Or you can buy one from DangerDen, last time I looked.

Also, you might try a little bigger pea sized blob of TIM next time you remount. Sounds like you aren't using quite enough.

Back