• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Generic Power Supplies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darrenct

I've been thinking I need to upgrade to a larger power supply, I only have 300 Watts...
I've seen generic 400 Watt PSU's for as low as $16. What is the difference between buying a Generic or a name Brand PSU? If they are rated for the same power, why are they different?

Last edited:
sumtimes they are, sumtimes they arent. get something from a known company, maybe like antec. for me, am using a 340w from enlight that comes with the case. works well for me.

Chewing gum and aluminum foil vs. rock steady voltage values under varying and punishing loads. A high quality PS will handle small mains voltage sags with ease, and a cheap one will crash your box. A high quality PS has a three year warranty. Does brand X have any warranty?

Some folks get away with using cheap PS's with K7 boxes. Many folks only consider the PS as an afterthought. In way of example, I don't get on airplanes with "Brand X" on the nacelles. The PS is the engine of your PC. Personally, I'd rather see the equivalent of "Rolls-Royce" on the PS.

Back