• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why no love for 120x2 rads?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

||Console||

I see time and time again people saying that a 2x120 rad is not enough for a i7 @ 4ghz . People get pointed to High end air and yet the H50 is a 1x120 rad and can handle a 4ghz oc ( now I know the temps are not as good as a 3x120 rad) but it can still handle it .

So is there any one out there with a 2x120 rad on a i7 ? i would love to see what the temps are .

Yep, your soo right. I agree 100%. I'd still rather have a 120x3 with low speed fans for quiet.

It's not the size of the rad, it's the full Monty. If the 120x2 with fans gives great temps for the user, then awesome! It's more than just the rad size.

Many of us are more jaded and blindly suggest a 120x3 for an i7. WRONG.

The main reason is you never ever want to underrad. Bad temps, have to buy louder fans, or even another rad. Whats the most simple foolproof way to ensure awesome temps? Overrad. Another happy OCF noob.

I am a Fan of over radding my self .

This is a condencer off a fork lift I think is is about 3x150 mm I run that passive .
IMG_0064.jpg

Plus I have a BIX 3 in the front of the case .

But many PPL are more scared of Moding that 300$ case to fit a 3x120 than water cooling its self . For those that would love to try water I think a 2x120 that will fit right into many cases is an ok option .

I have been thinking about this for a while . A Nub friend picked up
Haf 932
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
i7 860
Corsair 750
Patriot Extreme Performance Viper II Series DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3-12800 Low Latency Dual Channel Kit (7-7-7-20)

Has been asking me about water cooling and I have been looking around . My gear is all old by todays tec but works fine for my needs

also if you have the space for a triple, usually it's only an extra $10-$20 more for the triple, so why not?

if swiftech made quad 120 rads at the time i would have 3 of them by now instead of the small triples i have currently :)

Well, I ran my old i7 w/ HT off with a 120.2 radiator. Granted, I went with another 120.3 later on (120.5 basically), but that was purely out of fun and wanting COOL temps.

I was able to handle 4.2ghz w/ a 120.2 HT off on my i7 with LINX. It works very well for a budget system, a good bit better than air woul dhandle it.

I have this H50 now, which I personally dont consider water after owning a water rig. I have my i5 @ 4ghz (see SIG) and I load at 66c on LINX with it. Pretty damn good if you ask me. I know i5s run a little cooler than i7 w/ HT off, but its basically the same thing, 4 cores running. I think the H50 does a good job as well as 120.2 radiators.

I see time and time again people saying that a 2x120 rad is not enough for a i7 @ 4ghz . People get pointed to High end air and yet the H50 is a 1x120 rad and can handle a 4ghz oc ( now I know the temps are not as good as a 3x120 rad) but it can still handle it .

So is there any one out there with a 2x120 rad on a i7 ? i would love to see what the temps are .

Links please? AFAIK the h50 is not capable of "handling" an i7 with any OC. Unless maybe we have different ideas on what handling means....

I see people saying that it works and "works well" but I would not do it. when I can get a $40 air cooler to run cooler.

BUT... I agree a 120.2 is a decent set up done right.. personally I think 120.2 is probably the perfect size rad if you use a case. I had to build my own case for a 120.4 but man.. added a chipset (x58) to my loop and no differnce in temps at all :) I oc to 4.6 and then turn up my ultra kaze to high and try and eek out some more speed...

the problem stems from a misconception many people have that they NEED to have low temps.

the only real important thing is .. is your system rock stable at the oc you have and can you live with the noise level.

a cpu does not care if it is 39c or 45c at load if you do not plan on changing your OC or noise level so for many they just over do it ( especially when using adjectives to describe things)

im not being mean or condecending in this post btw its just how i speak using examples and facts with little emotion.

May I ask a question here? ;)

What gains(temp difference) might one see going from 2x120 Rad with Push/Pull fans(4) to a 3x120 with 6 fans?

I'm hitting a max of 61c after a 24 hour small fft P95 run @ 1.41v. Ambient is around 28c. Been tempted to switch to a 3x120 after going quad.

i helped my cousin oc his i7 with a h50 cooler. i was amazed because his temps topped out at 52c after 12 hours of prime small ffts. running his i7 d0@4ghz 1.28v (might have been lower i forget i'll ask him later)

i'm a amd fan boy so don't rly pay too much attn.

why?
read my previous post

Well, even though my CPU may not care that it's hitting 61c, I do to an extent. I am 100% stable and happy with my current OC, but, I'd be more happy if I was running cooler. Trivial? Yes. Necessary? Nope.

I'm more or less curious what my temps will look like using a 3x120. If we're talking 5c or more, It might be worth it to me. I'd much rather have my rig folding @ 50c than 55c+.

If the numbers looked better, then, yes I would up the ante on my OC. My fan noise isn't an issue for me. Would I like to see lower number? Of course. It's a matter of how much lower I might get out of a 3x120.

Back