• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My future CPU loop...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iAmCodeMonkey

Water-Cooling Loop: $440.45 US
CPU Block: EK-Supreme HF (Nickel\Acetal) - $79.95 US
2 x 120mm Radiator: Swiftech MCR220QP Radiator - $49.95 US
Pump: XSPC 5x25" Bay Reservoir\Pump Combo - $59.95 US
Compression Fittings: Koolance (NZL-V10KG) 1\2" OD x 3\8" ID x16 - $143.84 US
Compression Fittings (90-Degree): Koolance (NZL-L10) 1\2" OD x 3\8" ID x1 - $16.99 US
Flow Meter: Koolance Flow Meter (INS-FM17) x1 - $29.99 US
Drain Valve: Koolance Drain Valve (VLV-XTSPLB) x1 - $16.99 US
Tubing: Fesser UV Acid Green 1\2" OD x 3\8" ID Tubing (Retail Pack) - $24.95 US
Tubing Plug: Danger Den Brass 3\8" ID Tubing Plug - $1.95 US

This is my proposed CPU loop, to be installed when I have the money and time. But, I was wondering if the Koolance brand should be avoided altogether, specifically their fittings, which I have chosen.

This is the most I will spend on parts at one time due to my debit cards limit.

ditch the pump/res combo from XSPC and replace it with a Swiftech mcp355 with XSPC dual bay res top, performance and longer life will be worth the extra bit it costs.

Single Loop

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
+ Swiftech MCP355

ditch the flow meter, no need for it.

you don't need 32 compression fittings :) they are sold in pairs, so half that as well you won't need any for a flow meter so i total 8 if you need the drain. it's nice to have but there are cheaper ways to go about it. (plastic T and a fill port).

what biocide are you planning on using, and coolant?

Thats Waaaaay to much to spend.

Same topic as spawn inc said, but I would go this way.
EK Supreme HF This or the Apogee XT, I like the EK though.
EK X Res 100 This is a clean finish.
Standard MCP355
MCR 320 Radiator

Put some 1/2" tubing on there. Distilled water with Lets say Swiftech Hydrx or your personal blend to save some and get a healthier loop in the end, then you are pretty much set. Fittings are all there no need to get anything spiffy unless you want compression fittings. Most are the same generic ones. Supposedly Bitspower has the better ones but I have no personal experience with issues must be user error.

This would put you under $250 and is a reasonable set.

Lose the koolance fittings and go with bitspower ones. But thats just my 2Cents.

loose anything with the name koolance in it - it's all aluminum, and you don't want to mix alu + copper in one loop, otherwise bad things will happen

if you want to know how bad... just google image search for "galvanic corrosion"

look into the bitspower fittings, and upgrade to 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing, you will have much better flow through your system

loose anything with the name koolance in it - it's all aluminum, and you don't want to mix alu + copper in one loop, otherwise bad things will happen

if you want to know how bad... just google image search for "galvanic corrosion"

look into the bitspower fittings, and upgrade to 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing, you will have much better flow through your system

I do believe that the Koolance parts should be avoided, look around for some Bitspower or Danger Den if you really want compression fittings. Unless you are running multiple rads, you shouldn't need any more than 6 (if your pump will accept them as well). For the block, to avoid restriction, get some Bitspower True Silver barbs, and get some worm drive hose clamps. It will help avoid the need to add anything to the water, like PT-Nuke (the only additive you will see recommended around here, and many other forums), and you won't have to worry about trying to get a kill coil into your tubing. I also noticed some 90 degree compression fittings in your list of parts. Those will create quite a bit of restriction in your loop, and should be avoided as much as possible.

As far as saying that 1/2" ID tubing is that much better than 3/8" is misinformation. There is a thread linked in one of the stickies named "The impact of tubing sizes" that will explain how much it will really affect your temps. If I remember right, the difference was only maybe 1 or 2 degrees C. 3/8" ID tubing is easier to work with than 1/2"x3/4" and doesn't hurt temps as much as people tend to think.:thup:

Put some 1/2" tubing on there. Distilled water with Lets say Swiftech Hydrx or your personal blend to save some and get a healthier loop in the end, then you are pretty much set. Fittings are all there no need to get anything spiffy unless you want compression fittings. Most are the same generic ones. Supposedly Bitspower has the better ones but I have no personal experience with issues must be user error.

no need for anything in your distilled water but a biocide like pt nuke or a silver kill coil unless you run mixed metals.

lol, koolance has improved alot since the olden days. they stopped using aluminum in just about everything they make about 6 months to a year ago.

as well /12" vs 3/8" is very little difference and comes down purely to looks.

Personally I'm a big fan of Sidewinders, which does ship to Canada. Not only is their fan selection one of the best they have a huge inventory of hardware fittings, res's, and other misc. items and all quality products. They also have a great chart for comparing fittings, both barb and compression, from various manufacturers. There are several True Silver fittings there, not much more expensive than normal fittings, unfortunately 3/8" True silver compression is not among them and may not be available (though 7/16" and 1/2" True silver compression are available if you decide to go that route). My future loops will have True silver, no more additives for me! ;)

I also agree that 3/8" tubing is fine for most systems and no problem at all for a CPU only loop. Do you have future expansion plans to add a GPU or will this continue to be a CPU only loop?

Last edited:
Back