• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which pump should i buy... MCR655 or 355

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-honson

I plan to OC my i7 930 to 4gigs and also h20 cool my 5870.

I read that mcr655 is low restriction and the 355 is high restriction and high restriction is better for cooling? and something about low restriction is good for multiple blocks? this is all quite confusing to me because it seems like low restriction and a stronger pump would yield better temps....

both pumps are about the same price... so which should i get

The MCR655 (aka D5) is a great pump. Bit big but very nice. Already has barbs built in.

The MCP355 (aka DDC 3.2) is also a great pump. Small, some say a bit noisier than the D5. It's native 3/8" ID barbs, not very popular in USA, we like fatter ID tubing. Both are quiet and I have used both.

Both are made by Laing, rebadged by 2-3 other watercooling companies.

The DDC3.2 is better than the D5 with an aftermarket top. XSPC has a resivour top and non restop as other companies have. A aftermarket top for the 3.2 lets you add barbs in any size you want.

Either pump is a great pump for ANY loop. Don't fret a lot over what you were asking, it works out fine.

Look at the size of both pumps, the options for the DDC3.2 and your needs in your case. Pick one.

I use the DDC3.2 with the XSPC restop, one on my CPU loop, one on my GPU loop. Good stuff.

The MCR655 (aka D5) is a great pump. Bit big but very nice. Already has barbs built in.

Either pump is a great pump for ANY loop. Don't fret a lot over what you were asking, it works out fine.

Look at the size of both pumps, the options for the DDC3.2 and your needs in your case. Pick one.

I use the DDC3.2 with the XSPC restop, one on my CPU loop, one on my GPU loop. Good stuff.

if i want to do 1 loop for my cpu and gpu... is the mcr355 sufficient in cooling both blocks (i see that u used 2)

also arent there aftermarket tops for the mcr655 that allows for diff size barbs or compression rings.

either pump will handle what you want it basically comes down to a bit louder but smaller and more after market top choice vs quieter but larger and not as many options for after market tops (which it really doesn't need).

J-honson, both pumps have tops for them so you can change the barb size or use compressions. but the mcp355 gets more performance from changing the top.

(i see that u used 2)

also arent there aftermarket tops for the mcr655 that allows for diff size barbs or compression rings.

He is also running 2 separate loops in his rig, one for the CPU and 1 for his GPU(s).

HERE is a replacement top for the D5/MCP655, which will allow you to use compression fittings, rotary fittings, or different size barbs. It is also reported to increase flow rate and head pressure, which the D5/MCP655 doesn't really need.

I plan to OC my i7 930 to 4gigs and also h20 cool my 5870.

I read that mcr655 is low restriction and the 355 is high restriction and high restriction is better for cooling? and something about low restriction is good for multiple blocks? this is all quite confusing to me because it seems like low restriction and a stronger pump would yield better temps....

both pumps are about the same price... so which should i get
The D5 (Swiftech MCP-655) is plenty of pump all by itself for a single CPU/GPU loop, no add-on top necessary. It has built-in 1/2" barbs so you don't need any extra fittings/barbs if you're using 1/2" or 7/16" tubing. One MCP-655 can run the loop in my sig. I have two of them as a kind of RAID1 safety precaution but I only need one. Wouldn't be much of a safety precaution if one pump couldn't run the loop. ;)

A lot of guys use two loops because a GPU tends to run hotter than a CPU. By separating the loops the warmer GPU doesn't impact CPU temps ...

2 loops to go is best bet. I had my 4870x2 and i7 920 on the same loop for a few weeks and temps were a little hot. I decided to use my spare MCR 120, MCP355 and bought a new res, and my temps dropped dramatically. Load on the card I do 55c now with that little radiator with no fan.

The MCP 355 is very compact and pushes more then enough water. The MCP 655 is big and what can get in the way is the mount of the top and side inlet/outlet. The mcp 355 goes out 1 way (if you arent using tops etc). Plus if you get the MCP 355 you can find a top like the EK or XSPC ones that have a reservoir too. Save more space!

Back