• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU lapping for W/C System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starrant

Registered
Based on the fact that water cooling is more affective than air, what percentage of people here go through the process of lapping their CPU before installation? Also what are some of your technique's for this process?

Thanks

i didnt lap my waterblock, most of them come bowed, and lapping actually can reduce performance on some blocks.

with a descent water block (imo) lapping the cpu is not necessary, unless the top is deformed by previous mounts.....use a card or razor blade to make sure its fairly flat...

^ I agree. I don't see the point in lapping. I feel like the ends don't justify the means. You are taking a chance of ruining your CPU for a minimal gain in cooling.

i don't lap the water blocks, but i did lap my cpu block. one thing you need to worry about though is if you have the apogee GTZ or XT cpu block. if you lap your cpu then there will not be as much pressure on the block as the GTZ and XT can only tighten down so much.

Lapping can help. Maybe. Best thing to do is run without any lapping check temps, redo Thermal paste if it's not right. Only in really bad temps situations will it be necessary.

So, not needed, but in some situations it might help.

Great to hear the opinions, I think I will try it without lapping and see how it goes. I have all my parts except for the screws to hold the fans and rads in place. Soon I will have some pictures for you guys.

Thanks

Back