• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adding some cooling ....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson

I am adding some stuff to my current water cooling set up and would like to know your thoughts .

First off I will be starting with the WB as I will be able to change back to the D-Teck v2 WB at any time I am not concerned with if I should have gotten it or not . I want to give it a try . :rock: Here it is . Swiftech WB
OK I will be adding this RAD to the current setup as well . ( After testing the Swiftech dual 120mm RAD by it's self ) Black Ice GT Stealth 360 I have a DD D4 Water Pump ( Very Sweet :thup: ) .

So how well do you think this will do on my Q9650 ? What are your thoughts on this cooling setup in general ? Will I see better than 60*c loaded now or not ? How about Idle temps ? I am at 42c now and have seen 74c on CPU .

You want to run that peltier block on a QX9650 that's overclocked? I personally don't think it will do worth a damn, since you will overwhelm that tec with all the raw heat from that overclocked yorkie. The tec is rated at 226 watts at 15.2 vdc. If you are going to feed it from your psu, which is 12v, it won't be able to handle nearly that much heat. If you run it off of a dedicated psu that can actually feed it 15 vdc, then it might make some minimal gains when overclocking. In all seriousness, today's high power draw quad processors are just too much for a tec to handle when trying to push the limits. That is one reason people have gone to phase and even to DI and/or LN2 for benching.

You want to run that peltier block on a QX9650 that's overclocked? I personally don't think it will do worth a damn, since you will overwhelm that tec with all the raw heat from that overclocked yorkie. The tec is rated at 226 watts at 15.2 vdc. If you are going to feed it from your psu, which is 12v, it won't be able to handle nearly that much heat. If you run it off of a dedicated psu that can actually feed it 15 vdc, then it might make some minimal gains when overclocking. In all seriousness, today's high power draw quad processors are just too much for a tec to handle when trying to push the limits. That is one reason people have gone to phase and even to DI and/or LN2 for benching.

First of , How is it people think I am in this for benchmarking ? And it seems to me that even if you say was true why am I LOVING THIS ???
OMG . ok idel temps are now 0* - 5*c !! Loaded OCCT line pack the cores don't go above 55*c ( short 15 min test not recorded ) At this time the facts are clear to me this is going to do just fine !

See what your temps do with a 1 hour run of Linpack then. 15 minutes isn't quite enough to stabilize the temps, IMO. I think what you will see is a steady climb of the temps throughout the run. I recently ran a OCCT Linpack 1 hour run on my main system after upgrading the waterblock to an Apogee XT and my temps on a 1 hour run were lower than what you are seeing at 15 minutes. Now, I am only running at 4.0 and not 4.2 like in your sig, so that makes a little difference. But it won't be much higher; probably in the same region of temps you are seeing at 15 minutes.

And don't go getting all defensive, bud. I have messed with tecs in the past; as a matter of fact my first loop was a tec setup. And when I built that loop, I had to go with a dedicated 24v psu, since the tecs I was using were 24v models. I am just trying to help out and give you some advice. If you get yourself a dedicated psu that can output 15v, you can get the max out of your tec and you will probably be able to push the overclock a little more. You are losing 20% of it's ability to pump heat at least by running on 12v. Tecs can be fun to mess with and if you do want to try a little benching, get yourself a dual core proc like an E8400 and watch what that tec will do to it. :D With a dual core proc, I bet that tec wb can push it almost as good as phase. I found that with my experience with tecs years ago, that if you used a tec with 1 1/2 to 2 times the expected wattage of your proc in it's overclocked state, you could get some great speeds and cold temps.

Back