• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, 1st time WC. Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Llew

Registered
Hello all, here is the deal. I am modding a stacker 830 that I got for free and am building my new system in it (my Cosmos 1000 keeps killing my harddrives). System will be built around a 980x (which I will be overclocking) and a 5970. I have spent two days reading threads and have put together an idea of what I want. Can you kind folks just take a look and see if what I have makes sense? Your input is much appreciated.

Pump=MCP355
Res=EK-DDC X-RES 100
Rad=MCR320
GPU waterblock= Danger Den DD5970
CPU waterblock= Ek Water Block EK-SUPREME H (will use plate one because I have read its the best)
fans=Gentle Typhoons or Yate Loons. Have not decided
Using 3/8 id tubing and Feser One non conductive coolant.

Will the pump and rad be sufficent to cool both gpu and cpu? Should I go with the MCP655? Should I stack a second rad using the MCR320-QP-STACK or maybe switch out the Swiftech rad for a Thermochill PA140.3 for more airflow? (assuming the 140mm one fits that is)

Like I said, any input is appreciated.

Considering the 980x, if you plan to cool a GPU as well, you may want to look into adding another rad. I would just stick with the MCR320, as the stackable version has a tendency to restrict airflow over the rads quite a bit.

Also, the coolant should just be distilled water, with maybe some PT-Nuke, a silver kill coil, or true silver barbs. The more additives you have in your loop, the more chances that you will have that additive separate and clog your rads and blocks.

Should I go with the MCP655? Should I stack a second rad using the MCR320-QP-STACK ?

from what ive gathered from research, the stack is inefficient. its better to go 2 seperate radiators. If u have room what i would do is get a smaller radiator added into your loop.

Ok so going with the idea of a second rad...

Could I just put it in series with the MCR320 or did you mean more a complete second system with separate pump and res? What size rad would you suggest? The stacker is going to be pretty full as it is, but I could add a 120mm at the top and perhaps another at the back. I would add at the front but I need to put drives somewhere. :)

Swiftech came out with the stackable rads but it didn't turn out so well. You need a LOT of fan pressure (6+) fans to overcome the restriction and you still have hot air going over the second rad. Not the best solution. It does work if someone has the room, already has a WC system and needs just a bit more cooling. It's not a great solution by any means.

Second rad in series.

Lastly, you'll need at a minimum a 120x3 for just the CPU. It's close to 300 watts under load overclocked.

Ditto for the GPU, it's rated at close to 300 watts under load. You might be able to get by with a 120x2 but only the HW Labs GTX. High fin density and will need some 100 CFM screamers. It's the best to remove heat. Going a 120x3 and a low FPI fan you can use medium speed fans for quiet.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/781-5/dossier-vraie-consommation-73-cartes-graphiques.html

And yep. You should run TWO loops. Seperate pumps, rads, res for each component. Sorry to say, those parts are going to be very hot. You move up the food chain like this, it get expensive FAST.

Looking at the space I have available, a second 3x120 rad will probably not work. So, knowing this I was thinking maybe I could downgrade my videocard to a single 5870. At that point would a dual rad be enough to cool it? It is 163w under load.

Yes I would be using a 3x120 for the cpu and a 2x120 for the gpu in a seperate loop.

I thought about going external with a radbox, but that wont look as nice. I would rather have it all contained inside the chassis.

so maybe what I will do is stick with one pump and res, but use both rads (the 2x120 and 3x120) since rads are pretty inexpensive. If it doesn't work out I can always add another mcp350 or 355 and res.

If I do use two rads in one loop as mentioned above, I assume I put them one after another with nothing in between? Is there a more optimal configuration?

Optimal is wherever you want. Res before pump, unlss res is part of the pump. Go for goo neat short hose routing. Doesn't matter where the rads are in the loop. You could get a teeny bit better temps by having the outlet of your 120x3 going to the CPU. You'd never notice it though.

Seeing your wayyy new to this, guess you don't know that in a normal watercooling loop the water is 1-2C difference anywhere in the loop.

Lots and lots of info availible in the top of this forum. You might want to dig into it quite a bit, read lots of sites and please take your time. It's for the best, believe me. Yo'll find your own answers just by spending some solid time. Also, reading the last 20-30 posts here from beginning to end really helps.

We get a LOT of new folks and many of the questions your asking and will be asking have already been answered a few thousand times in the last 12 months.

Actually I did know that water temps normalize throughout the loop, but I thought perhaps people had a preference for positioning. :)

Ive been reading the stickies and the posts, but its hard to find solid numbers on anything. A lot seems to be personal preference. I guess its hard to know how much heat a rad will dissipate as that number will be directly affected by airflow and fan type/speed.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the input.

Hehe, yea solid numbers only come from a few years of reading martins and skinnees charts, and just doing it and getting a feel for it. Takes time.

Keep plugging along. We never know what level of research peeps have done. Usually not very much, every person is different in ability and effort.

Not a dig at you, just doing the normal thing we do. You and us will get it right.

No offense taken man. I run retail computer stores and I know what its like to deal with people who have just enough knowledge to get themselves into trouble. :)

No offense taken man. I run retail computer stores and I know what its like to deal with people who have just enough knowledge to get themselves into trouble. :)

i say a single 120rad and a 360 rad in one loop is enough to cool the 5870 and cpu (pray to god it does because thats what im doing)

In the end I have ordered 2 3x120 rads. The price difference was so small it wasnt worth it to skimp. On top of it all I figured out how I could mount the second rad so life is good. Maybe as I start cutting up the stacker I will start a build thread. Big job ahead of me, but it should be fun. :)

Back