• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will a dual radiator be enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Summer heats-a-comin' and I am getting the water itch again. I currently have my i7 at 4.0 Ghz, but I love the look of a dual radiator on the inside of my HAF932. Will a dual Radiator be enough to keep my 920 cool or will I HAVE to get a triple to have satisfactory temps.

Note: this will be a CPU only loop

Yes, you would probably be ok with one radiator depending on size, fans and pump. Dont count out the cpu water block and res volume either.

Edit: I would always go for better quality and match between compnents than over rad'n a water cooling system. I would also recomend lapping the cpu IHS and the water block.

A 120x2 is the minimum. Depends on your need for quiet, a 240 would be okay with some high speed fans. Want it quieter? 120x3.

You DON"T need to lap the CPU or the CPU block. Many blocks are bowed out of the box and can be messed up by lapping.

A 120x2 is the minimum. Depends on your need for quiet, a 240 would be okay with some high speed fans. Want it quieter? 120x3.

You DON"T need to lap the CPU or the CPU block. Many blocks are bowed out of the box and can be messed up by lapping.

If it is bowed it will create a gap between the cpu and heatsink which will act as an insulator causing heat build up. I have yet to purchase a water block or heat sink that was perfectly flat out of the box, same goes for the cpus. If you’re going down the path that 'if the cpu is bowed and the heat sink is too, then they will fit' I don't buy it. The idea is to use a very thin film of thermal compound between the IHS and heatsink and its easier to get a uniform distribution of thermal compound when both surfaces being pushed together are very flat. You don’t want a bunch of peaks and valleys.

Now as far as radiators are concerned, I see a lot of people using duals and triples but not sure why they need it for CPU only. I use a single rad for my OC'ed set up and idle in the low 30s and top out in the low 50s. I used a single rad on my old over clocked prescott core that ran hotter than hell on air (Zalman) and it had no problems on water.

But I do respect you two's opinions, just wanted to add my feed back.

Hmm, the bowing is convex. It actually increses the pressure in the middle of the CPU, giving better contact right where the dies are in the chip. Most chips are slightly concave too. Placing a small blob on the chip and letting the pressure spread it fills all the gaps works just fine. Most of us have got away from spreading the paste manually.

A QX9950 at 3.4 can get by easily with your rad and the screamer fans. It's a far cry from the heatload an i7 920 at 4.2.

I'm not saying lapping can't help. It can really help on some air coolers, but even they are starting to have a slight convex surface.

What I should of said lapping is a last resort, removes the chip warrenty. It CAN help.

No worries.

A QX9950 at 3.4 can get by easily with your rad and the screamer fans. It's a far cry from the heatload an i7 920 at 4.2.
Exactly. This triple rad I have for the i7 860 at 4.2Ghz + HT isnt great. I doubt an air cooler could touch it, but it isnt great. And thats with a GPU in the loop. I want my PA 120.3 back.

Yep, the object of the "block bowing" is to point load the center of the IHS area and get much more contact pressure at the source of the heat (the cpu slug underneath the IHS). Also, the base thickness of today's waterblocks is pretty darn thin, so you get some minor non-permanent deformation when clamping pressure is applied, which makes the actual contact area larger when properly mounted. If the thin base was flat to start with, there is the possibility of actually deforming the base under pressure enough to remove contact pressure at the center of the waterblock base, since the clamping pressure is applied around the outside circumference of the waterblock.

In other words, do not lap the base of your new waterblock. These blocks were designed and extensively tested with the bow in the blocks, which has been found to give best performance. This ain't 2001 and these waterblocks aren't old DD Maze 1 or Maze 2 designs with 1/8 to 1/4 inch of solid copper meat between the base and water channels. If you want to lap your processor, then knock yourself out. But in most cases, you won't see significant performance improvement after lapping the IHS either.

EDIT: Forgot about the original question. If you go dual fan rad, I would suggest that you go with a rad such as a PA120.2, GTX240, Feser 240 or RX240, which are on the higher end of the double fan performance range.

Summer heats-a-comin' and I am getting the water itch again. I currently have my i7 at 4.0 Ghz, but I love the look of a dual radiator on the inside of my HAF932. Will a dual Radiator be enough to keep my 920 cool or will I HAVE to get a triple to have satisfactory temps.

Note: this will be a CPU only loop

I had the same question....I think I am going to get a triple!

Back