• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shrouds: increase in performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J-honson

Are there any charts or studies that have shown that shrouds increase the radiator cooling performance? Are these worth it? i have been looking around and i havent beewn able to find any tests for shroud vs noshround

thanks

They do help. How much? Depends.

Say you have a 120x3 rad and really need a 120x4 for your needs. Adding a shroud can give a 10% or so increase in cooling, generally. And since they 'can' cut noise levels, maybe a bit higher RPM can be tolerated dropping your temps a bit more.

In the case of a rad setup where your temps are plenty fine and your fans are low speed already, that 10% increase in cooling could be very small.

We aren't talking 10 degress for your water temps, it's 10% or so of your Delta T temps. So if you have a very poor 15 DT, then your water temps will drop 1.5C. If your at ohh 7C DT, then it's a measly .7C decrease.

So, it depends.

Connum is right.

But in the end, shroud help noise and cooling. I dont think anyone is waiting for stellar performance by only adding shrouds ;)

They do help. How much? Depends.

So, it depends.

I am seriously leaning to Gentle Typhoons for my loop for my rad. That fan seems very popular, but it has a pretty large hub area, so I was thinking that shrouds could help a bit. But the only shroud that I have found is the one from Feser. They are $20 a pop, and that's a bit pricey for a 120 x 3 rad. Also, I don't care about the LEDs, so the extra cost to cover the LEDs is just wasted on me.

What do you think?

Are you even near to your heatload max? Would you gain anything worthwhile using a shroud?

The message is: Wouls a shrould help your heat performance? Or have you overradded that a shroud would make little difference?

When I was new, just like you, I got a shroud for my PA 120x3. They said it would drop temps, I went all out, bought the best. Still use the rad and shroud. It's on my CPU loop. I can say it helps my temps by a teeny bit, makes no difference on noise, overclocks, etc. My temps are wayyy within okay. I have one and it works bless my soul.

Your like me a few years ago. Use my experiance. No, you don't need no friggin shroud.

If you want some 120 X 25 mm fan shrouds on the cheap, this is how you do it. Order these Yate Loon fans (however many you need to make shrouds with) for $3.60 each, then simply cut the posts holding the motor and impeller off with a dremel or other cutting implement and you can then use the remaining shell as a shroud. :cool: If you want 38 mm thick shrouds, do the same thing with the cheapest 120 X 38 mm fan you can find too.

Mudd, I agree, it's the best way. But does the OP need to do it? Saving pennies matters. Or more like $30 including shipping to just chop up fans. Maybe he dont got 17 extra old fans in the closet.

I agree with your logic, but does the OP even need a shroud? I guess only he can decide, his money.

Well, we are giving him opinions and options here. And you have given sound advice about the relative performance gain with a shroud. But if he decides he wants to run shrouds I was giving him a cheaper option than those overpriced shrouds from Feser. :D And maybe he has some old 120 mm fans sitting in the closet that he can make shrouds out of for free too. The other day I took an old 120 X 38 mm Sunon fan I've had forever and don't use because it's so freaking loud and made a shroud out of it.

Well, we are giving him opinions and options here. And you have given sound advice about the relative performance gain with a shroud. But if he decides he wants to run shrouds I was giving him a cheaper option than those overpriced shrouds from Feser. :D And maybe he has some old 120 mm fans sitting in the closet that he can make shrouds out of for free too. The other day I took an old 120 X 38 mm Sunon fan I've had forever and don't use because it's so freaking loud and made a shroud out of it.

To muddocktor and Conundrum. Thank you both.:grouphug: As it turns out, I don't have any dead 120 mm fans lying around. (Plenty of old 80 mms, but nobody cares about those anymore.)

I'm beginning to think that it's easy to carried away doing water-cooling and while I don't have a hard limit on my budget, I'm spending like there is no tomorrow.

Based on these input's I'll save my money and put it to better use with some nice Bitspower fittings. :)

Back