• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a motherboard :<

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Massacah

Registered
Hey guys!

I have a list of items I'm getting for a new gaming build. Only thing I'm missing though, is a motherboard. My head hurts because I keep switching between one mobo to other, a couple of advils did the trick though :-/. So I really need help in choosing one!

[Going to use i7 920, Dominator 2G x3]

What I want from my board:-

1) I need it to OC easily.

2) I need it to support QuadFireX at x16/x16 as I have 2x 5970s

3) Don't want the GPUs to interfere with other mobo components because of layout/space. SATA ports for example.

4) Money is not an issue, though I'd rather not throw away my hard earned money if there is no real gain between a choice and another.

5) I prefer ATX, but EATX is acceptable. My case will accommodate both.

Thanks in advance guys :cry:.

Cheers,
Mass :attn:

Last edited:
How bout you help me with the motherboard problem and we'll see? :thup:

Cheers,
Mass

Whoops, thought I stated what CPU I am going to use, lol. i7 920. Lemme edit it in real quick :).

Cheers,
Mass

I think no matter what board you get, if your using 2 or more cards, you are likely to interfere with Sata Ports as well as Fan headers. There is only so much space on a board. Consider yourself lucky the bios reset or clear buttons are not under them.

Now thats just talking about an average SLI setup. Your looking to 4 Cards, which IMO is overkill since the scaling isn't there yet. But you have the Asus P6T7 SuperComputer, which supports Quadfire. On this board though you will cover all of the PCI slots when haveing 4 - Dual slot cards installed. The USBs will also not be easy to access, which is like saying the sata ports are not easy to access. The Sata ports are on the side though.

Then there is the EVGA W555 motherboard but information is just coming out about it. It holds two CPUs and 12 Ram slots and I am sure it is not within budget.

There is the Gigabyte GA-8N, but all the Sata and USB ports are on top and are obstructed by the video cards.

Of those three, the Asus Supercomputer is the only one to really fit your bill unless you have money to burn.

the evga sr-2 as you're referencing is the newest highest end board they have.. plus OP only has 1 CPU not 2:p

Though the evga classifieds tri sli or quad sli boards have a lot of realestate on em.. the sata ports are 90degree turned so you access from the side.. the usb connections are at the bottom of the board and the only other interface you would need to make sure you hook up before installing the cards would be your onboard audio as the hookup is right next to one of the PCI slots you will cover with your gfx heatspreader

just dont use OCZ memory with the board.. its a 50/50 chance of working correctly or even to spec

I'm not looking to 4 cards :p. I only have two 5970s. Quadfire 5970s = 2 Cards. 2 Cards = 4 cores. Hence Quadfire. Or, I could be totally wrong and they are called CrossfireX 5970 with out the quad, lol.

Still WTB mobo suggestions though!! :)

Cheers,
Mass

I know what you meant.. was thinking of the spacing and dumb enough on my part to not realize its set apart to accept 4x 5970s.. dur

anyways.. evga boards are all laid out the same.. sata ports are 90* angle, usbs are on the bottom and only the audio port is covered by a card.. i could get 2x of those onto my Micro since both lanes are x16!

So should I go:-

EVGA E758
EVGA E760 Classified
Asus P6T6 Revo

:confused:

Cheers,
Mass

Back