• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

plugged usb lead into 1394 connector - files corrupted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

briligg

Registered
i'm not sure if this is where this should go...
i had to take out the motherboard and reinstall it the other day, and i now realize 2 days later that i plugged the lead for the usb ports on the front of the case into the 1394 connector on the board. Now i see the mistake, the fact that the transmitter for my cordless headphones suddenly stopped working, and the camera i plugged into it those ports just now, now can't communicate with either of our computers through any usb port - sure does seem to be because they were connected to the 1394 port.
uh oh.
how deep in kaka am i? can these two things be flashed somehow to reprogram them?

the camera seems to be working fine but can't communicate with the computer, so i'm hopeful that it just corrupted the files.
there should be a way to check that by flashing them, shouldn't there? i can't see the devices from within windows, but maybe outside of windows?

the usb controller is fried, I've made the same mistake before by having a case that didn't have color coded or labeled front panel connectors. I plugged the 1394 header into the usb spot and a couple days later hooked up my external drive to transfer some files and as soon as I turned the power on for the drive I lost all my usb ports.

You just fried the USB controller chip on the USB devices. Firewire uses 12volts... USB only uses 5 volts...

oh no. that's bad.
i don't have that excuse. i'm just a non-techie trying to be a techie, and easily distracted.

well, now i know.
thanks all for explaining.
so - is it feasible to replace usb controllers? i can't replace the transmitter dongle. the camera will just need a new cable, fortunately.

Last edited:
USB PCI cards are pretty cheap... Just need to find one that offers a header for an internal connection. Try Newegg.

USB PCI cards are pretty cheap... Just need to find one that offers a header for an internal connection. Try Newegg.

Wait, I thought he fried the usb controller on the device not on the computer. How would buying a usb pci card fix that?

yeah, it's the transmitter device for my headphones that i fried. i was wondering that too.

Ah... well when someone above said replace the USB controller above, I figured the system was somehow damaged. Not sure what you'd have to do now... either replace the logic board in your device or replace the device.

I'd check the camera on a different PC and see if it shows up. If not, your camera's internal USB controller is likely dead.

I'd check the camera on a different PC and see if it shows up. If not, your camera's internal USB controller is likely dead.

i'm not sure if this is where this should go...
i had to take out the motherboard and reinstall it the other day, and i now realize 2 days later that i plugged the lead for the usb ports on the front of the case into the 1394 connector on the board. Now i see the mistake, the fact that the transmitter for my cordless headphones suddenly stopped working, and the camera i plugged into it those ports just now, now can't communicate with either of our computers through any usb port - sure does seem to be because they were connected to the 1394 port.
uh oh.
how deep in kaka am i? can these two things be flashed somehow to reprogram them?

Looks to me like he already explained that he checked the camera on another computer, from what I enlarged, colored red and bolded. ;)

briligg, sorry to say, but is sure sounds like you fried the usb interface for your camera. I hope it wasn't an expensive one. :(

Back