• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time Water cooling. Need 5970 advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sabiancym

Registered
I've just ordered parts for a new rig. I'll be pulling my current processor, mobo, and PSU out to transplant into the new one.

The rig will look like.

I7 920 OCed to whatever I can get
Corsair H50 cooling the I7
Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 Ram
XFX 5970 Black Edition GPU
Corsair 256gb SSD
Some regular 7200 rpm 500GB Sata HD
On an asus P6T Deluxe V1 X58 Board
With a 850W 850TX Corsair PSU
In the Corsair 800D Case

The H50 will take care of cooling the CPU, but I want to cool the GPU as well. I've read a few guides and followed a few builds, but I'm not exactly sure what specific products (rad, pump, res, etc) I should buy.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, do you suggest putting a full mobo block on the board and cooling that as well? Is that worth the hastle?

Thanks

Well...
Swiftech mcr 220 - mcp 355 + xpsc bay res (that can put 1mcp355 pump in it) + UV colored tubing + Gpu block and you are good to go.
Cooling Intel Chipset is useless - Why would someone cool the chipset? Look? or EXTREME o.C which u can't do with h50 :)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628092 read these. Then come with a full list of what u want to buy and we'Ll comment it.What I said above are just some quick ideas that come into my mind.

So far, I'm thinking I mount a GTX 360 to the top of the case.

For the pump, probably the MCP355 like you suggested
XSPC Dual 5.25 Bay Res
And some EK blocks.

What I need to decide is if I should do a single loop and cool the cpu and GPU, or if I should just cool the CPU with the H50, and use the single loop to cool the GPU only.

Would the rad above be enough to cool both?

5970 + i7 920 on a triple is pushing it but doable. the rad you choose is the best choice, but only if you opt for high speed fans. i would go push pull as well.

Alright I've decided to just use the H50 to cool the CPU, and then use the 360 to cool the CPU.

Here's my buy list so far.

Corsair H50
EK-FC5970 5970 Acetal Full Waterblock
EK 5970 Ram Backplate
GTX360 Gen two Extrem Rad
XSPC 5.25 Bay Res
MCP355 Pump

Now I just need to decide on tubing size and fittings. What size tubing do I need and should I go with barbs of compression fittings? I'm a little confused on the sizings? Do I need to get tubing and barbs that are bigger than the fittings on the components?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Compression fittings need to be EXACTLY the same OD/ID of the tubing. All the threads are G 1/4 now, so don't worry about that.

Ok cool. So no matter what tubing I pick it will fit on my components as long as the compression fittings are the exact same as the tubing?

Last edited:
EVERY threaded fitting is G1/4 threads. ALL Barbs, compression fittings are the same. All the female threaded ends are G 1/4 threads, all male threads are G 1/4.

Don't worry about threads.

You buy the barbs or compression fitting to fit the hose, you don't worry about the threads.

Most of us use 7/16 x 5/8 or 1/2 x 3/4 hose. I use 1/2" ID, 3/4 OD hose with 1/2" Barbs. And clamps.

Ok cool, I got my tubing and compression fittings. 4 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans for the rad and one for the H50. I also picked up this fan controller.

Is there anything else I need to make my first water cooling experience better/easier? What does a pump top and t-block do? Am I ok metal wise (not mixing metals)? Should I get some special liquid with the additives already in it? Like primochill ice?

Thanks for the help. Again sorry for the obsessive compulsive questions. I'll probably do a build log to try and contribute back to the forum.

A pump top is an aftermarket addition. It helps on pressure and flow rates. For the MCP355 (DDC3.2) it allows the use of proper barbs. By now, you should know the standard top for the DDC3.2 is 3/8" ID hose. Too small for keeping flow rates at their optimum rates. So XSPC (top WC company) developed a screw in top to make it all good.

You can use any standard barb you want. Better flow rates and pressure.

You can see my pumps and resses in this link.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

You can see solid testing results here from the retired GOD of testing, Martin. I was hoping you already had these links and had seen them before. Guess not. Need to bookmark these.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/ Look up pump top shootout
http://www.skinneelabs.com/ Skinnee, another GOD, took over

No, Dont get primochill ice , its distilled water that cost 7$...
Buy Distilled water (1-2$ 1gallon at wal-mart) with 1 bottle of pth_nuke 3,75$ and you are good for years...

Other than price is there any downside in getting primochill? I'll be getting the clear without any dyes.

I ask because I can get a bottle for free. I'd have to order some pt nuke.

Alright just bought everything.

Does this look good?

wcdesign.png

Flow going the right way?

yea. U might see if tubing routing is easier/looking better doing
Res/Pump top - GPU - Rad - Res

Yea I'm going to reverse the direction of what I have drawn up there. I did that late at night and wasn't thinking.

Back