• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a budget board for Q6600. 965P died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bottomsup

Hi,

I've been running a Q6600 on a 965P at 3ghz stock voltage for ~4 years. Over the last year it's failed to post and done other wierd things, but pulling CMOS always fixed it for a few months. Well now it hangs loading windows and sometimes hangs during post, so I think the board is toast.

I don't want to spend a lot and in looking around it appears the Gigabyte EP45 or EP43 is a decent buy? The G41 boards are cheap, but I read they aren't good clockers, but maybe for me they are since I'm not pushing this chip that far...i.e. want to keep power and heat low.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Definitely get a P45 for your Q6600, it will thank you :D

The GA-EP45-UD3L is the best deal at NewEgg for $90 ($80 AMIR) + $3 Shipping.

Do you need RAID or Xfire?

I just brought the last one of these for my son yesterday after he killed the hand me down board I gave him, its running a Q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz and 4gb of OCZ 1066mhz Platinum, I was very suprised with how well it performs, very cheap, on-board GFX for when he kills his GFX card, no raid or xfire etc but he wont use that, very impressive though.

Overclocked the CPU to 3.2ghz on stock voltage just to get the ram to 1066mhz as the max supported ram is 800mhz you have to get to the higher speeds by overclocking.

I have left a review of the board on the site but OCuk not posted it yet due to the bank holiday weekend

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-220-GI

Back