• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with new GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L Rev:1.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Medla!z

Hi all,
i have a problem and i need your help. As first sorry for my bad english, im an slovakian and im still learning.
Two days ago i ordered some parts for a upgrade of my system.
A Core2Quad-Q9400,GIGABYTE EP43-UD3L and OCZ DDR2 1066 Mhz.After replacing of these parts i got the problem. The system cannot boot.It freezes at startup screen.The system got a new HDD too(WD caviar 640 black) wich was blank also i tried to boot from cd to install W7 UltX64, no success.i got a error boot disc not available.
I set the boot priority in bios to OD,HDD,USB but still no go.I created then an bootable USB with the W7 and tried to boot from it. Success...after a minute i got a BSOD: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.
As i know it is an BSOD for memory.I tried to put the old memories(Kingston 2x2 GB 667) into the mobo. Boot ok, installation ok. With this rams the system booted normally. I have done a bios reset before i putted the new ram back. I tried it with one module and the system started.
I tried it with both modules and system dont post again. After X test of the new rams i see that both new modules works fine but cannot work together. I searched on the web what for an issue i can have.
I found only this... the basic settings for the modules are clock 6-7-7-20 and 2V. The primary settings on the mobo is 5-5-5-15 and 1,8V. Settings in bios were updated,restart ... for the first time the system booted to the OS. I was lucky and installed all my programs etc. but that what followed... intermittant shutdown,system restarted and booted to os again. After 30 mins the same problem. Restart and system freeze at start screen.
I replaced then the memories for the old ones and booted normally to the os. In this case i think that the memories are defective or not compatible with my system...
Next day as i returned from work my brother reported to me that my system is sporadically restarting by himself.
The same issue as with the new memory modules...
I dont know what i have to do to solve this problem. The only thing what i dont tested is a bios update, do you think that it can help? Or is the mobo the problem?
Please can somebody advice me for next steps???

Thanxs a lot,

Tomas

I'd start with a BIOS update, it sounds like you are having an issue related to SPD detection with your memory. If you aren't familiar with SPD, its how your motherboard figures out what setting your memory should be operated at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_presence_detect

So, 2 options for you.

1. Manually configure BIOS to match the rated memory specs
2. Update BIOS, and see if SPD operates correctly with these modules

The good news, is that you should be working fine and there likely isn't anything wrong with your hardware. It sounds like a definite settings problem. Give that a shot, and be sure to let us know your results.

:welcome: to the forums! And compliments on your english, it's great - next time, maybe put some paragraph breaks in, as they make what looks like a big block of text much easier to follow. :thup:

Thank you for the post. I tried already to set up the correct memory timings. Doesnt help. I got everytime the BSOD irql not less or equal or that the system dont boot and freezez. But i take to take the memories to a friend who has an gigabyte EP45-UD3R (i think) and an Q9400 too. We start the system and he got the same BSOD. I borrowed then his Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066MHz and my system was running stabile with his memories. I try today to flash the bios and search how to set up right the timings and i let u know the result.

rgds

Hi all,

i have done the bios update today. System works fine with the old memory.
I replaced it with the new ones and started the system. In bios done some changes like voltage and correct timing.
Booted with one module and installed the Gigabyte utility Easy tune 6. There i have done some settings and checked if the ram now goes on 1066MHz and with 2V. For the first time the system works fine :)
I run now the memtest86+ with one module and tried every slot... i think that the one module is ok, i hope that i find no other error on the second.
The system runs stabile for cca 2,5 hrs now.

I hope that i have now the right settings in bios and that the system works as i want.

Many thx for the help guys :)

Hi all,

I enjoyed it unnecessarily. The system got the same f**king problem today again.
After the memtest86+ successfully passed runs the system fine for the whole night. Probably a hour ago the system shuts down by himself.

Can i do something else to discover the problem?

Please advice,

Thx.

Put the old memory in and see if it runs stable for a long time. Then if it does RMA that memory or get some corsair memory like your friends.

Put the old memory in and see if it runs stable for a long time. Then if it does RMA that memory or get some corsair memory like your friends.

Hi,

i changed the OCZ memory for the Corsair XMS2 and the system runs stabile now. One thing i need is to reinstall the OS and then is all ok.

Thx for your help :thup:

Yup, thanks for the update - glad to hear you got it straightened.

Sorry my advice didn't fix it, but at least it made you more certain what the true problem was.

Back