• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 pumps and 3 radiators or 1 BIG radiator and 1 BIG pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PBanger

Go look at my picture.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81706&stc=1&d=1270276705

Which is better to do?

I mean look at section 2 in my picture, by the time water gets to the mosfets wont it be REALLY hot? Hot because that water already went through the CPU, GPU, north and south bridge.

OR

Is it better to break it up with smaller pumps and smaller radiators, like I show in section 1 in my picture. This means the CPU gets its own small pump/radiator/reservoir. The GPU gets its own small pump/radiator/reservoir. And the mosfets, north and south bridge share one small pump/radiator/reservoir.

Which setup gets me cooler results for all these computer parts?:chair:

YES, I know I'm not doing more than 2 video cards, but I'm poor. Sorry. I'll get the second one later, maybe.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,036
I'm new to water cooling, but I don't think you should do CPU, GPU and MB blocks all on one loop. Maybe if you have a 4 x 120 radiator?

And don't worry about the sequence of the loop, over time the temp equalizes, it's no warmer coming out of the mosfets, etc. The temp will be uniform throughout the loop...

what are your system specs?

and you have a misconspection about water cooling. for example lets say the water entering your cpu block is at 20C your thinking it will leave at 40C when instead it's more like 21C at most leaving. the water is passing so fast that it doesn't have time to raise that high. also once your water reaches equilibrium it won't make difference on what your loop order is. at any 1 point in the loop it won't be more then 1C difference.

depending on what your specs are you will likely be able to get it all in one loop.

I mean look at section 2 in my picture, by the time water gets to the mosfets wont it be REALLY hot? Hot because that water already went through the CPU, GPU, north and south bridge.
I had the same misconception when I was looking into watercooling for the first time. The truth is, even configured for lots of blocks like in "section 2", the temperature defference between water leaving the radiator, and water returning to the radiator will only be 3-4 degrees Celcius.

Pretty much what Spawn-Inc said...
The water moves so quickly past the components that it does not have time to heat up much.

To answer your question, the second option would be FAR better IMHO :thup:

Do the CPU loop like you list in one. Combine the Mobo and GPU into one. Thats pretty common. The GPU is very low restriction and won't cause any flow loss in the Mobo blocks, they are bit restrictive.

You for sure need two pumps in series to put it all into one loop like in picture 2, and you'll need two radiators too.

We still don't know what your going to be cooling. That alone makes the most difference in determining your loops. It's all about the heatload.

2pump (mcp655), 2 rad(3x120mm), lots of blocks !

With good fans you can cool any high end system that you may have,.

Manifolds

Grannie is just a ol lady but she lives on top of a blue Russian whose always stealing her air conditioning for his OC addiction--he's got some blower hidden in the vent duct. Grannie got him off his capacitor for some thermodynamic advice.

Markov says you would be applying best engineering practices by supplying as low a temp as practical to each heat block but only a plug and play boy would do that with three pumps and radiators.

Good engineering practices would do the same with one pump and cooling heat exchanger (rad) using manifolds. Then you have a lot of flexibility. Appropriate size depends on the rest of the design--tubing sizes and such which actually are limited by design of blocks and rads.

Not a big pump per se but a quality pump that has a few speeds is fine and best rather than the control box-pump thing. locate manifolds above the blocks and incorporate vent lines from the high point of each (supply and return headers). what you folks call a "t-line" between cold-out of rad and pump--pump in bottom of case--run line as high up as you can and leave it vented to atmosphere--can just be a cracked open pet ****--but that keeps positive pressure on the suction of that CENTRIFUGAL PUMP. If you don't it'll likely work but you'll have it overclocked and churnin some air. If you know how these pumps work you'd understand how they depend on having a vacuum in the eye and no where else.

Grannie got a go now...brownies burnin and he's startin to rant about bad reviews of his fans and falsely accused aluminum radiators.

PS: Too big a pump leads to too high velocity which leads to erosion--especially in narrow block and rad passages, induced currents, and corrosion and it generates a lot of heat (wasted energy).

:welcome: to OCF!

Do the CPU loop like you list in one. Combine the Mobo and GPU into one. Thats pretty common. The GPU is very low restriction and won't cause any flow loss in the Mobo blocks, they are bit restrictive.

You for sure need two pumps in series to put it all into one loop like in picture 2, and you'll need two radiators too.

We still don't know what your going to be cooling. That alone makes the most difference in determining your loops. It's all about the heatload.
This idea would probably work best but without system specs and some idea of what you're looking to accomplish (quiet or performance) it's very difficult to give good advise ... ;)

Now that I know that the water doesn't get super hot when it cools a waterblock, I'm going to get 2 radiators and 2 pumps.

BUT here are the specs I'm going to get. I'm not just blowing steam here, I've got the 3k dollars in my hand to buy all this. SO, if you know a better way than what I'm thinking of getting (2pumps,2radiators) please tell me now. I don't want to mess this up. This is why I haven't purchased anything yet. First I want to learn the best way to build the computer and not go like an idiot and buy the wrong stuff.

intel i7 920===== overclock this to above 4GHz

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2====idk the real name for the north bridge when OC'ing but I think it's front side bus?? What's the south bridge and mosfets called in the bios to overclock those.

DDR3 RAM stock 1600MHz=== I want to OC this to 2000MHz. Here I know that the i7 920 only allows like 1000MHz or something like that, but how can I make it so that it lets me do 2000MHz?

Radeon HD 5770, core 875MHz, memory 1300MHz===I want to overclock the core and memory as much as possible on this graphics card. p.s I'm going to get a second one later.

Main power 1000 or 1100 watts.

PLEASE correct anything wrong here, remember that I want to overclock EVERYTHING as much as possible, so if the only thing in my way is getting low temperatures, this is when the water cooling comes into play.

since your going to cool the cpu, gpu's, and board i would get no less then 5x 120mm worth of rad. 2 triples would be even better. just a matter of space and how you want to mount said rads.

your very first consideration above all else is 2 things

1 noise ratio you are comfortable with.
this leads to 2. what enclosure you will use ,very important in determining what cooling parts you can fit.

Back