• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to get my i7 to 4.0ghz....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

I've got an EVGA x58 mobo. I am not sure which one it is, I bought it new last march (2009) It was (i think) at the time the only EVGA to support the i7.

I am doing folding and running -bigadv. For those of you who don't know what that is, its a big complex protein folding program. Basically I am getting 1% every 44 minutes at 2.78ghz. I need to get that number down as low as it will go. That will take me 73.3 hours, or 3.05 days. I must get it done before 3 day mark or its no good.

at 3.2ghz i should be down to 1% every 38 minutes.

at 3.8 it should be 35 minute frames.

what I do know:

i've got 6 gigs of ddr3 1600mhz.

a xigmatek tower cooler, at 100% my temps are right around 50-56c. CPU is not lapped. AS5 as TIM.

The proc is the D0 version.

question is....where do I start? Is there a general guide i can follow?

I can use the "dummy overclock" which would put my cpu at 3.2ghz, but I get some odd behavior from my computer. Namely; the mouse sometimes wont work, programs don't load right, windows 7 acts retarded. (my wifes words, its her computer...)

my personal opinion is that Micro**** doesn't like making their os's support OCing well.

I'm sure someone here has an overclocked i7 running windows 7 pro.

Any tips, pointers, whatever would be awesome =D

thanks.

Back