• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best motherboard for an i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jcsmothers

Registered
What is the best motherboard for i7 920 or 930 these days excluding the new evga 4way sli.

:welcome: to the forums!

As for best, I suppose it depends on what you are using it for, but for OCing ability I believe the current top end includes the forthcoming Rampage III Extreme and Maximus III Formula ( mATX ), as well as the Gigabyte X58A-UD5, among others. What are you looking to hit?
-Drew

Sorry about not listing any details . Anyways I've been researching for a couple of weeks now, I was leaning towards the (see below) but I've noticed a few websites have them listed as unavailable I'm just wondering if they discontinued them or what. I'm planning to OC but to what I don't know as of yet, I don't really want to overstress my cpu which will be either an i7 920 or 930 as I can tell their isn't much difference between the two. Other than that I'm going with two ATI Radeon HD 5970's one for now the other for later I may throw a physx card in there I don't know yet. As of cooling goes I'm doing the whole water cooling route........ any suggestions? I guess I need to have all the specs in my sig I just haven't made it. sorry for that guys.

EVGA X58 SLI Classified Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3, RAID, Hyperthreading

No problem. That is a great board and its popular with world record benchmarkers, but paying that price premium isn't necessary if you "don't really want to overstress" your hardware. There are very good options, for much cheaper!

Why are you guys suggesting P55 boards (Maximus III Formula and P55-UD3R)?

Here's some to take a look at:
eVGA Classified
Asus P6T, P6T Deluxe, P6TD
GA-X58-UD5/6/7

My bad, thought the MFIII was the mATX version of the Rampage, that's what I get for not double checking, lol.

What about the evga x58 3-way SLI LE? I've been looking at the classified what the difference between the classified and limited edition? Other than price.....

i say wait for the asus rampage III extreme, should be out in a week or so. idk whats taking them so long

As an Asus Board owner, I must have gotten a buggy board. I don't like its useability compared to a Gigabyte board.

Also after calling Customer Support, I noticed they seem very unknowlegeable in both the Tech Support and RMA sections as well as Republic of Gamers (R.O.G.) section.

I will probably not buy from them again unless customer service improves. When I spend 50 dollars on something, I understand that customer service is not really a part of the package, but when I pay 200-300 for something, I usually DO consider it part of the package.

Outside of customer service, the board is ok. But not anything a lower end Gigabyte wouldn't have accomplished.

I'm actually looking at the EVGA X58 3-way SLI LE and the Classifed, but I also have an interest in the Gigabyte GA-X58A UD5 but I hear about how some of the Gigabyte motherboards have problems with the memory although I like the idea of having USB 3.0 and SATA 3.0 and some of the other features that it has. I wonder how the Gigabyte would do if it was water cooled???????

I'm just confused on which one I should get now................lol

Back