• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Mobo for i7? EVGA classified?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exempt

Im building a new rig...yet again, and as always I like to buy the best. So I'm getting lost here with all these new fangled memory configurations (triple channel..huh what?) and differnt video card configurations. So I'll list what I am purchasing, or plan to purchase, and feel free to chime in...

EVGA classified mobo...but Im not sure which one. I want either 8gb of memory or 12gb, however it works, of ONLY OCZ BLADE PC 16000 . so if I am correct that is the triple channel setup.

CPU i7-975 vs i7 960

2x ATI 5970, but all the EVGA mobos says SLI not Crossfire, so is there no EVGA "classified" board that supports Crossfire?

I think I am ditching phase change for good, it's to unpractical now, I am going to sell my modded mach II GT and modded Vapochill LS, I want to pick up the thermaltake level 10 case and just stick to mild air overclocks from now on, technology has finally reached a point where overclocking really doesn't yield ridiculous gains in performance.

(details that don't matter in this topic but Ill add anyways:
CPU
2x Intel SSD's figure I'll give em a try again,
2x 2tb WD RAID 0
Corsair 1k PSU
Fatality Xfi sound card)

If there is a better mobo please add suggestions
so I need some help on the mobo / memory / crossfire solution, Im kinda lost..or maybe just really tired.

i would recomend going with an i7 920 or 920. anything else is far to expensive, if you get a i7 920 with a deecent motherboard you can easily go 4.0ghz +

Motherboards- Evga are good, especially the high end ones, the best gigabyte board out the is th X58A-Ud7, or the Ud5 ( one model below it ) this also has usb 3.0 and sata III

im not sure about the best asus board, i know they have one Sata 6 and usb 3.0 board but cant remember the name, or you could go for the Rampage II extreme or the upcoming rampage III extreme *drools*

Memory configurations, with triple channel you have to have 3 or 6 sticks so for you, you can either go
1+1+1 = 3gb
2+2+2 = 6gb ( recomended
2+2+2+2+2+2 = 12gb ( wayy over the top)

psu is a good choice, as is the sound card, intel SSD's are great, or if you are looking for budget drive the ocz vertex series comes highly recomended

Video cards - im not sure about ati cards, im a nvidia guy myself, you could go for the GTX 4xx series?

check out the evga forums before deciding on their boards.. theres lots of posts about ocz ram and their boards not getting along

get a 920. if you want to shell out the 980x is there!! 2x5970's on a classified board works for sure. I have friends who crossfire on those boards. the thermaltake level 10 is a crappy case from what I have heard. get an antec 1200 or corsair obsidian 800D.

Wait a little for Asus Rampage 3 extreme, it will be released very soon and it will kick all asses. It has USB and Sata 3.0, 4 way sli or cross, and even better OC than R2E.
Classified is really good Mobo but R3E is better if you want a best get it!

EVGA Classified 760.
The 4-Way SLI board doesn't have many 10 expansion slot cases compatible with it, and the 759 isn't retail right now. So no 2nd party warranty.
Also, word of warning with the 800D. Not good fresh airflow at all, so consider that before your purchase.

Back