• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCR220 in a SG04B?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drewstylz

Hey guys,

edit: added some more info

I'm thinking about building a SFF/portable rig with the quietness of WC/overclockability if I wanted it. I'll be breaking up another setup so I'll have:

GA-G33M-D2SR
Q6600
Ballistix ram
HD3870 or some other card - not part of the loop

old stuff I know

I'm looking at getting a completely internal Swiftech setup with (ideally) an MCR220 radiator in an SG04B case (in place of the 2 x 120mm fans). Does anyone know if it will fit (lengthwise)? I ran a couple searches and couldn't find anyone running a similar setup.

This is the closest thing I found. This guy has a H50 stuffed in there with the other 120mm fan mounted "one hole lower than it should be". I imagine size would be similar but again, I couldn't find specs for the inside space.

So, questions:

Does anyone know if it will fit or have time to measure the inside of their case?

MCR220 is 11.2" or 284.5mm in length
w/reservoir is 11.86" or 301mm

Is this overkill? I'm only going to cool the CPU. Could I live with a 1x120mm radiator or maybe even just go with an H50?

Quietness is more prefered than high overclock.

I'd prefer to not have to mod the case. I'm not opposed to it, I just don't have the tools on hand :D

Any comments regarding the proposed setup?

TIA

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with the rad handling the heat especially with no overclocks.

The GPU doen't use a lot.
HD Blueray 38.7 watts
3D Mark 06 88 watts
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/781-5/dossier-vraie-consommation-73-cartes-graphiques.html

The CPU should be about 100 watts under load, not test load but normal usage. For movies, very low.
Scroll down half way on this link
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/SwiftechMCR220-Review.html

Looking at this chart the Yate mediums should be fine. Look at Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM for even a better fan, highly rated and quieter. Costs more tho.
http://www.jab-tech.com/120mm-Fans-c-81-p-2.html

Will it fit? I dunno. But the rad with good case airflow is plenty. Pretty good DT temps.

Thanks for the links.

Gentle Typhoon eh? Any experience how that compares to Noctuas? I was considering either the NF-P12 or NF-S12. They're about the same price as far as splurging on case fans.

Well good news is that reports state the SG04 is very similar to the SG03 and I've found a few people with an MCR220 in their SG03. I guess my concern now becomes whether I can fit it with the built in reservoir.

At slow speed both the GT1450 and Noctua NF-P12 are very quiet, nothing in it. At high speed the Noctua is a fair bit louder than the GT and in my experience delivers slightly less airflow.

Alright, so now I have to ask, how does the M184 compare to a 2x120 radiator? Searches didn't show much. Obviously, it's shorter but much thicker.

How would I mount the M184 if I were to get it? Would I be jury rigging it to 120mm fans or would I then go with 2x92mm fans?

Lets see. 120x2 is 240mm of cooling area. 92x2 is 184mm of cooling area.

20 FPI for the 92 and a thick rad.
14 FPI for a MCR 220 and thinner.
9 FPI for a Black Ice SR1 and thick.

This tells me by the tests (you really need to read these things) at Martins and Skinnees there is a huge difference in noise and cooling capablility.

Your looking at a HTPC setup. You don't want loud fans. You need to make it fit and cool your stuff. Hight FPI thick rad? High CFM fans. And it's teeny for your heatload. Mora fans.

There is no real reviews on the 92mm rads anymore. They are less capable, and the one you linked to WILL need HS loud (smaller fans more RPM for the same airflow) fans for your quiet rig.

I'd use that rad if I had a folding rig, older CPU, lower heat but overclocked, like a Q6600 at 3.7 that was away from my normal working space.

Hope that helped.

i recently switched to a smaller case(nzxt m59) and changed out the rads in my watercooling system to fit it. did some testing with my m184 in relation to this thread. i have one m184 rad in series with a m92. i disconnected the fan on the m92 for the duration of this test.

this is the system im testing with:

leak_testing2.jpg

ambient room temp is at 76f(24.5c). testing was done with the case completely closed.
i left the front intake running at 40% during testing(120mm). please notice fan speeds in the speedfan window.

i loaded up prime95 and ran small fft on all four cores of my i5-750. processor is overclocked to [email protected]

the first test was run at 40% fan. i let the system run for almost 40 minutes at full load before taking the first screenshot. the fans are almost completely inaudible at 40% speed. i can hear the hard drives and water pump over the fans.

the results are impressive for this rad being in such tight quarters and only feeding warm air from other components over the fins.

40_fan_m184only.jpg

next test was 60% fan. a slight woosh at this speed but barely noticeable. i can still hear the hard drives and pump over the fans.

60_fan_m184only.jpg

next test was 80% fan. fans are fairly audible at this speed. a definite wooshing sound emanating from the case. hard drives and pump still barely distinguishable.

80_fan_m184only.jpg

next test is 100% fan. fans are very noticeable but they are not distractingly so. hard drives/pump still audible but probably wouldnt be to someone walking into the room and initially hearing the computer at full speed.

100_fan_m184only.jpg

and here is a pic of idle temps

40_fanidle_m184only.jpg

i have two Arctic Cooling 92mm PWM fans in a
push configuration on the rad.

the front intake on my computer is a 120mm version of the same fan. all fans are operating via pwm.

i think the m184 would be great for just a cpu only config. the video card fan would probably be louder than anything else in the system.

Last edited:
Amazing quality input. So your running the same rad he suggested with equivelent fans and not at great winter temps (kinda normal AC temps) and get those results?

Thats solid data and I can be wrong.

Haste, hats off to you and your input. I always move to the bigger rad side to be safe when helping folks.

I dunno now.

Woweee thanks for all the screenshots. Looks like I'll be happy with whatever I buy. But now, I keep looking at parts and I think I want to add a HD5770 to the mix lol. maybe with an EK water block if I do get that. choices....

Does radiator depth matter? It looks like you guys are completely ignoring the extra depth of the M184 over the MCR220. I would think the extra depth would provide more surface area and thus, more cooling ability than you guys are giving it credit for. Maybe that's where the excellent temps are from.

No NO. I know the difference. A thicker rad needs louder fans. A rad with high FPI needs more fannage. If your airflow over the rad is poor, then you suffer.

The pev poster had good points. But his 'quiet' may be fully different than yours.

I know a 92mm fan makes more noise, and in a HTPC setup, which isn't the prev posters needs I'm sure.

Your build, your stuff. I'm kinda done here, what else can I do? Build it and let us know. Hobby PC cooling is always an adventure. Any issues can always be solved with more stuff. Never ends.

I know a 92mm fan makes more noise, and in a HTPC setup, which isn't the prev posters needs I'm sure.

Your build, your stuff. I'm kinda done here, what else can I do? Build it and let us know. Hobby PC cooling is always an adventure. Any issues can always be solved with more stuff. Never ends.

i dont remember the OP mentioning a HTPC setup? although, quietness is the goal it seems. i can only imagine the awesome temps this thing would get at stock or mildly overclocked cpu frequencies. id be willing to run a test if the OP would like me to...

this computer actually acts as my htpc and gaming machine, so quiet was a concern of mine. i sit 2 1/2 feet away from the computer itself(same height as my head) and its one of the quietest machines ive built yet.

noise tolerance definitely does vary person to person, so the op may have a different experience. just wanted so share since there wasnt much info on the net about these rads.

i do think the op should get the 2x120mm rad if it will fit, but at least there are other options.

Naw no tests needed. I think I got all the info I was unsure about.

appreciate the helpful responses =)

I'll make sure to post pictures come build time

there nothing wrong with the little rads i have a black ice micro II which is a 80mm version and i have a amd athlon II x4 630 2.8 Ghz overclocked at 3 Ghz and it keeps at 45c full load at 24C ambient temps. it whatever works for u. my setup pretty quiet execpt the fan on my video card it produces more noise than my two fans on my rad combined

Back