• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar/DTEK Whitewater and C2D E8400...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

humdinger

I have an old Whitewater (DTEK) which I used on a P4 socket 478. Now I upgraded everything including motherboard to a C2D E8400.

Does anyone have experience of running a Whitewater block on a C2D chip? Firstly can it be mounted correctly and secondly how does it perform (since there are two cores and not one in the center like with the P4?)

I tried to mount my old DD RBX (Whitewater knockoff/ripoff) on a Gigabyte board a year or so ago and I found the old block was just too wide to mount on the board. It had hard contact with the ferrite chokes and capacitors around the socket area. I imagine that if it fits into the socket area it would work decently.

Mobo is ASUS P5QL-E I'm not sure how that compares, if it's any help! Same problem? Would be nice to get some feedback before taking everything apart :)

It's so hard to say about the Mobo. The caps arent's as close as some other mobos. From what I remember the caps are much closer than the P4 days and taller, or seems to be.

Can you measure the length and width of the CPU block?

Just as a gestemate, looking at your mobo pics and my mobo (in my sig) I think your mobo caps are 1.6-1.8" from center of the CPU. So measure your block.

Hope it helps.

I got round to removing the heatsink because I'm installing a different CPU. Unfortunately the whitewater won't fit because of the capacitors, no matter which way I rotate it :(

Yeah, sounds like you ran into the same problem I did with the RBX. Those old block designs are just too wide for today's motherboards, unfortunately.

Back