• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New sockets in 2011 Q1???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks like it is... LGA 1155 and 1356... one pin and ten pin difference... this looks like an attempt to sell more motherboards/chipsets...

1366 was only out for a few months when 1156 came out, and now this? Maybe i need to go AMD with my next build... they stick to a socket for more than a week :bang head

Yeah, it's a real drag the way that intel is always changing their sockets. Why can't they decide to stick with one that can last more than 1 generation of processors like they did with LGA775. Even though they changed specs during it's time, at least the other stuff such as high end cooling was a direct bolt-on to the newer specced boards without having to buy brackets or adapters. :rolleyes:

Well just because the pincount is different doesn't mean the heatsink mounting dimensions are, especially when the pin counts are close.

Well, when 1155 and 1356 become old school (and cheaper lol) they will be fun to play with...

....(old hardware hoarder speaking here)

Wiki link goes to nothing...

Heh, and here I was just defending Intel's two current sockets vs AMD's 3 compatible ones + its new server chip.

Back