• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this ok while leaktesting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawShadow

Hi guy's,

I started with leak testing outside the case today its running arround 7 hours (will leaktest it for 24 hours).
I did all the precautions clean the rad/blocks before the leaktest. Oh boy was that an expensive cleanup just to clean and flush and rinse the rad and blocks with distilled water that costs me over arround 15 euro = 20,20 dollar:eh?:

After the leaktesting i remove the water and fill it with fresh distilled water and offcourse a silver coil in my loop.

I use distilled water but the question now is do i need to put a anti algea like Pt-nuke or a silver coil while leaktesting outside the case? I totally forgot...is this wrong?

And how do you guys leaktest regarding using or not using an anti algea agent like pt-nuke/silverCoil/or something similar while leaktesting outside the case?

I could still use PT-nuke just 2 droplets, but i switched over to a silver coil because i want an clean as possible waterloop.

thanks in advance

Ack. You can rinse/ clean with tap. A basic rinse with distilled is all you need. If your UK, you can use MUCH cheaper deionized water (basically the same) instead of distilled.

We use distilled or deionized for one reason. The hard water chemicals like clorine, magnesium, calcium are removed. It prevents hard water buildup, like scaling on a old dripping faucet, or for the prime example, stagmites in a cave.

The water needs to be pretty darn pure, but over a certain measurement, it's over doing it. A few have gone to uber extremes and even payed their left arm for lab grade water. No need for that. Thats just plain silly.

For leak testing, you can just leak test with liquid, no biocide. Your gonna drain the loop for the final build anyway. Once your loop is leak free and running good (2 days) then you can safely add the algecide and not worry about wasting it.

Best to put the coil in the loop right away when building the loop, it's fine and will last for years.

PT or PHN nuke comes in a teeny bottle of I'm sure over 100 drops worth. You only need 4 drops per liter of fluid, so using it during your leak test won't hurt or waste much.

Leak testing outside the case is a great NOOB exercize. You learn a lot about barbs, fittings, clamps, tube bending etc. I did the same. Your next time you'll have a solid clue about the small details. And probably won't need to do that.

I commend you on your carefulness. You sir, should never have leaks with that attitude.

Thanks for the reply,

I concluded my leaktesting after 24 hours and so far no leaks thankfully.
Those quick release compression fittings sure come in handy. I have a hand pump (in and outlet) that i attached to one of the quick release fitting and pumped arround 85% of the water out of my loop without spoiling to much water. Before that i disconnected the pump to be sure. Altough there was a pressure drop in the reservoir the water rose upwords to the above inlet. Anyway i recommend quickrelease fittings for draining the loop to anyone.

After that i disconnected al my tubing and tommorow il begin assembling the loop in my case for another 12 - 24 hours leaktesting, Those compression fittings altough i tightened the thread fingertight and then a little bit more. There is a groove/edge arround the o-ring this means you cant tighten the fitting all the way this is to protect the o-ring from crushing is this correct? Anyway before i reassemble il check all the o-rings before starting.

Back