• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Obsidian 800D Water Cooling build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zinsco

OK, I'm planning on using the 800D with an Asus Rampage lll, i7 980x and 12 GB 2000 RAM for my new system. I want to water cool the CPU, the Chipset, the GPUs, and the RAM. Since I'm going to use 2 ATI 5970s / Crossfire I think I should use the 360 rad that will go in the top for one loop cooling those cards.

That leaves the CPU, Chipset, and RAM. (I don't want to use the Corsair H50 for the CPU.) Also, I would like to stay away from cutting out the 2 HD bays on the bottom to fit a 2nd 240 rad next to the PSU. Here's a link to take a look at the case I want to use and someones mod that was done very well. It shows cutting out the 2 HD bays that I'd rather not do.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81684

So what I was thinking was putting a 140 rad on the bottom instead and a 140 rad in the back where there is already a fan in place. So my 2nd loop would be the CPU, Chipset, and RAM cooled by the 2 single fan rads from separate locations.

I fear that only 2 single fan rads is not enough to cool the CPU, Chipset, and RAM. Is my fear warranted or do you guys think it should work good, or maybe use the 360 rad on the motherboard stuff and the 2 singles on the GPUs???

Last edited:
Why are you afraid to cut up the case? It really is simple once you get that first cut out of the way. Plus, if you botch a cut, you can usually find a way to make it work out. I can't get to that link from work, but I am assuming it is Mr. Armageddon's post on removing the bottom cage...even he messed up his bottom cut and fixed it with some washers.

The rad you want to hang off the back, you are going external or internal? What rad is it? I'd be careful if you are going internal as it might be really tight with the connections. If you are going external with it, why not just 86 the bottom rad idea completely and bracket a 2x120/140 off the back?

Do you really need to watercool the RAM? Just from what I have read, I don't think that 2 - 1x140mm rads would be enough for a OC'ed CPU/chipset and ram and a sole 360 might be overkill for 2 GPUs unless you are seriously pushing them to their limits. If you are deadset on that setup, I would probably reverse it and put the CPU et al on the 360 and the GPUs on the 2 other rads.

My suggestion, get out a dremel and start cutting the case, throw a 220 down below, 360 on top and decide how you will configure the loops from there. BTW, I initially was going to go with 2 loops and decided to do one loop, 2 rads and it worked out well...then again, I am not watercooling my chipset/ram and I only have one video card atm.

OP: I'd not cool the Ram or the Mobo. There is really no good ram cooling solutions, even the guys who Ln2 Their CPU don't watercool or anything but air cool the ram. The Mobos on a 980 don't generate the heat the old 775 boards do. Not a lot of reason to WC the Mobo. Start with the CPU, go big enough on the rad, and 6 months on your regular maintenance schedule add the Mobo cooling. No real reason to, but it's neat looking.

Danger Den TDX isn't up to the ability of newer blocks. His TDX was 'pretty good' 3 years ago. But has been eclipsed even by Koolance.

I'm a big fan of DD stuff. I use their GPU blocks.

Thier CPU blocks? Old stuff and probably 3-5 C worse on a new hot CPU.

Why are you afraid to cut up the case? It really is simple once you get that first cut out of the way. Plus, if you botch a cut, you can usually find a way to make it work out. I can't get to that link from work, but I am assuming it is Mr. Armageddon's post on removing the bottom cage...even he messed up his bottom cut and fixed it with some washers.

The rad you want to hang off the back, you are going external or internal? What rad is it? I'd be careful if you are going internal as it might be really tight with the connections. If you are going external with it, why not just 86 the bottom rad idea completely and bracket a 2x120/140 off the back?

Do you really need to watercool the RAM? Just from what I have read, I don't think that 2 - 1x140mm rads would be enough for a OC'ed CPU/chipset and ram and a sole 360 might be overkill for 2 GPUs unless you are seriously pushing them to their limits. If you are deadset on that setup, I would probably reverse it and put the CPU et al on the 360 and the GPUs on the 2 other rads.

My suggestion, get out a dremel and start cutting the case, throw a 220 down below, 360 on top and decide how you will configure the loops from there. BTW, I initially was going to go with 2 loops and decided to do one loop, 2 rads and it worked out well...then again, I am not watercooling my chipset/ram and I only have one video card atm.
Yeah, its Armageddon. The ATI 5970 has 2 GPUs so with the 2 cards, I'm looking at having 4 GPUs. That's why I was concerned. I'm not afraid to cut the case, I just don't want to loose the HD bays. If that is the only way than I will do it, but do you think the 2 single rads would do the same as one 240 rad, and is a total of 500 all together with the rads enough for what I want to do?

Oh, and as far as the RAM, I can nix that idea, but if it would work I would like to include the RAM.

Omg! Jarl, dont talk about wc when u never own'd one! roar.
They are a thread Guts ithink made check this, u will find a ton of info. He mounted a THERMOCHILL 120.3 TOP - Swiftech 120.2 (220) bottom.
Watercooling Ram Is NOT NECCESSARY It Just Had Restriction to the loop, just buy an air cooled ram coolers...
i7 980x +120.3 Thermochill will keep him Cool!!!
As for Gpu. double sized rad will be as good as high end air cooler for GPU, dont expect the best temps, since u are underadding them but GPU are less sensitive to heat so...

EDIT here is the thread. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639546

Nah, its not the only way to add another rad and if are going to use those bays, then keep them. I know I will never have more than the 4 swappable drives, and if I did need more room, I'd just get a bigger drive and pop it up there.

Theoretically the whole is equal to the sum of it's parts. In practice...I can't say for sure, then again, I am still learning. One thing that comes immediately to my mind of 2 - 140s vs 1 - 240 is : more fittings [more money] and possibly more flow restriction [but most likely not much, depending on what angles you need to take]. That's why I was suggesting to go external if you don't want to do a bottom rad....having an internal 140 where the rear intake fan is could be tight.

As for $500. Let me put it this way....when I first posted about a dual loop setup and said $400 was my budget, people immediately posted "forget about it". Over time, my budget eclipsed my initial one 3 fold.

For instance, your 5970 waterblocks will run about $200 alone [plus tax/s&h], CPU waterblock another 70-100, fittings can really add up [especially if you go compression and start throwing 45degrees in there at $14 a pop], The chipset WB is really expensive...the ones I saw were about $170+, pumps are 60ish a piece, res top if you get one or two....radiators if you get swiftechs will still run you over $120ish, reservoir depending on how you set it up, another 50+ at least, tubing, tools, biocide, fan controller...

So you can see how it can really....really, add up. So $500 for a dual loop or dual rad setup with 4 waterblocks isn't going to cut it imho; not if you want quality parts.

Sorry, when I mentioned 500, I wasn't talking cash. I meant to ask if the amount of rads was enough to cool all that I wanted to cool. Can I do it with one 360 rad and another 240 worth of rads either double or 2 singles? I guess that adds up to 600 not 500. LOL

What radiators are you looking to get, that makes a bit of a difference in helping to answer your question. How much are you looking to OC your CPU? More importantly, are you going to OC the 5970s?

Plase refresh my memory. Im old.

What is the CPU? Planned OC?
GPUs? Planned OC?
Ambient summer temps? Room temps? Note. Some drop OC in the summer.
Consideration to noise levels?
120x3 rad in cool room air flow?
120x2 out case airflow?

These things matter unless your smart and overrad it all and just run low speed fans.

Get a tech station, you really need to look at one. Easy and best airflow you could ever imagine.

My tech station:
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Then I'll set you up a decent rad setup.

What radiators are you looking to get, that makes a bit of a difference in helping to answer your question. How much are you looking to OC your CPU? More importantly, are you going to OC the 5970s?

Well, as far as rads, whatever is the best and would fit. Probably Thermochill. I want the capability to OC the cpu and the 5970s as much as I can, even the ram. If I have to get 2 quad fan rads outside the case to do it than OCing that much is not happening.

You Need To Learn More. YOU YOURSELF.

Looking for the best rad and the best pump and no matter the fan noise?

These two links should be the start of your bible. Lots to learn, decipher.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

These and a few reading of more than 100 past posts here in the WC forum, and every single thread availible on this forum will work.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

You want the best, be prepared to work for it. It's not Best Buy. It's a hobby.

Is TC the best for cost? best if you live in the UK. But what about the SR-1 and the XSPC RX series?

I don't build the PC or tell you what to buy. It's your stuff. You figure it out. I'll help but blindly telling you? NOPE.

You Need To Learn More. YOU YOURSELF.

Looking for the best rad and the best pump and no matter the fan noise?

These two links should be the start of your bible. Lots to learn, decipher.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

These and a few reading of more than 100 past posts here in the WC forum, and every single thread availible on this forum will work.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

You want the best, be prepared to work for it. It's not Best Buy. It's a hobby.

Is TC the best for cost? best if you live in the UK. But what about the SR-1 and the XSPC RX series?

I don't build the PC or tell you what to buy. It's your stuff. You figure it out. I'll help but blindly telling you? NOPE.

WOW, are you trying to pick a fight with me or something? Look, I never said I'm an expert at any of this and in fact I'm very new. I've built one system, 9 or 10 years ago, than added water cooling to it 5 years ago. That's why I'm here, I'm just wanting some advice from some guys who do know this stuff on what should go with what rad and how much rad I need. I would like to fit it all in the case, and I'd rather not cut out the HD bays, but if I have to I will.

I am new to this forum Zinsco, and I am no expert myself. But I'll give this a shot. After reading tons of guides for beginners and what not I concluded a minimum of a 360 rad will keep an OC'd i7 processor at good temperatures. Any more hardware into the mix will need more rad power. Since you have a 800D the only way I see you cooling the CPU+GPU is having a 360 rad on top(CPU) and a 240 rad on the bottom(GPU) where the trays are. Having two single rads would just make the loop more complicated. Modding the trays to fit in a 240 rad would probably be less work if you do the proper research. I also think that WCing mobo and ram is quite unnecessary. Why not grab some good air cooling for the RAM? That should be enough.

Ram aircooling: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835704001

800D HDD tray modding: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81684

Modding the trays should'nt be too hard, you should give it a try! :)

A guide that might help you out: http://www.overclockerstech.com/water-cooling-guide-for-beginners/

This guide was given to me here on the forums. It does an excellent job at answering many small questions you may have.

Side note: Apologies if my english is bad/vague. For it is my second language.

Cheers,
Mass

Have you put together a budget for the cooling? Nothing wrong with wanting to really push your gear to it's limits, but just be prepared to spend for quality parts. Lots of builds I see have the XSPC RX as Con pointed to and other's the TC PA series. Bang for the buck series seems to be the Swiftech MCR but to see what rads will suit your needs, check out the skineelabs links.

Do you have the 800d yet? If not, get that first so you can start measuring out what can and cannot fit where. I was a bit surprised when I finally got my case; how my ideas just wouldn't work out with the room and spacing provided [completely my own fault since I didnt prepare properly...live and learn].

Have you thought of going one loop, but with 2 rads, 2 pumps in it? I can't recall a post where people have suggested a dual loop setup and often times recommend against it. I was DEADSET on a dual loop setup and went with one in the end...quite happy with it too. Just some food for thought.

Check out Noeru's Blood project, he fit a XSPC 480 rad on the top of the 800d and a 240 at the bottom; cooling the cpu, chipset and SLI gpus off one loop, with some sick overclocks/temps. Off topic, he has some insane fitting design! Hard to appreciate until you get stuck trying to work out a tight space without kinking a hose.

I see Massacah posted the CMXAF1 fan set. I have the CMXAF2 mainly because the AF1's fan are high RPM and noisier....so if the fans arent on a controller, that's 3 x 6000rpm fans going. The AF2 has 2 3500 RPM fans and it was quite noisy when run full speed [before put on a controller].

Last edited:
WOW, are you trying to pick a fight with me or something? Look, I never said I'm an expert at any of this and in fact I'm very new. I've built one system, 9 or 10 years ago, than added water cooling to it 5 years ago. That's why I'm here, I'm just wanting some advice from some guys who do know this stuff on what should go with what rad and how much rad I need. I would like to fit it all in the case, and I'd rather not cut out the HD bays, but if I have to I will.

No, I'm not. Maximium cooling is more than tell me what I need to have. You have to learn what is your maximium.

I guess it's the choice of your words. You want max cooling ability but just want folks to tell you want to buy. You need to have a deep understanding of watercooling before you just go max. Most don't go max untill hry really understand.

Thats why i gave you the links for real understanding od heatloads and what you need to know. Flow rates, ambient temps, Delta T temps, Pressure, head flow. etc etc etc.

You want max? Buy a 140x4 for each cooling loop with two Iwaki DR 30 pumps for each loop. Get the Black Ice 140x3 20 FPI rad with 6 Delta 3000 RPM 36 mm fans for each rad. Best CPU block and best GPU blocks.

http://www.jab-tech.com/HW-Labs-Black-Ice-GT-Xtreme-Quad-140mm-Radiator-pr-4474.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-High-pr-3940.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Iwaki-RD-30-24v-DC-pump-pr-3849.html
http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-Apogee-XT-Extreme-Performance-CPU-waterblock-pr-4568.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_240_579&products_id=26931

Primochill LRT tubing, hose clamps for barbs, and distilled water and Petras PHN Nuke.

That was actually pretty simple.

You want max cooling ability but just want folks to tell you want to buy.
You so don't get it. I never asked anyone what to buy. My only question that everyone else seems to be addressing but you is weather or not I can cool all the things I want with the plan and rads I was thinking.

As far as research, I actually have done a lot of reading. How much I have retained is questionable, but I did spend just about 2 full days setting right here on my computer reading articles and threads on water cooling and builds with the case I am getting.

I do thank you for all the links you have given me. They are awesome. It is a lot to read and there is a lot to learn and you have given me some real good tools for learning it.

Do you have the 800d yet? If not, get that first so you can start measuring out what can and cannot fit where.
No, I don't have it yet and I was thinking exactly the same thing. I can't wait to get the thing so I can really start seeing how I might fit things. I have spent so much time reading articles on this case, threads on builds with this case, videos of the same and water cooling articles and threads, and opinions on parts that my mind wants to explode. lol When I finally have it I will start making some real decisions on water cooling parts. All the builds and articles I have seen are really helpful, but to have the case will make it much more practical in figuring it out.

I am really looking forward on building this system. It will be a lot of fun. Thank you for your help.

Oh yeah, yes I have thought about going with one loop and I have seen some builds with 2 rads, 2 pumps, and sometimes only one res with all that and sometimes 2 res. I guess I need to do some good research on how hot those to GPU cards are going to get. Maybe they won't be as bad as I am thinking even though they will amount to 4 GPUs.

I am new to this forum Zinsco, and I am no expert myself. But I'll give this a shot. After reading tons of guides for beginners and what not I concluded a minimum of a 360 rad will keep an OC'd i7 processor at good temperatures. Any more hardware into the mix will need more rad power. Since you have a 800D the only way I see you cooling the CPU+GPU is having a 360 rad on top(CPU) and a 240 rad on the bottom(GPU) where the trays are. Having two single rads would just make the loop more complicated. Modding the trays to fit in a 240 rad would probably be less work if you do the proper research. I also think that WCing mobo and ram is quite unnecessary. Why not grab some good air cooling for the RAM? That should be enough.
Hey, thanks so much for your advise. I will take all that into consideration.

One thing I have not mentioned and I should have, is that one reason I want to water cool is to keep the noise down. That is why I did it to my first computer 4 years after I built it. It was like a rocket ship was trying to take off in my living room when it was air cooled. lol

Anyway, that is why I was thinking on water cooling the ram. Just thinking that that would take out a few fans and maybe a few decibles, but if that is just going to heat up the whole water system and I can't fit enough rads than I guess ram will just have to have some fans.

Most of the builds I have seen are air cooling the ram but I have seen some water cooling them. I have looked at so many builds it is amazing. Most of them cut out the to HD bays and use a 360 rad at top and a 240 at bottom doing the cpu, chipset, and gpu. But I have not seen one yet with my cards on crossfire. So that is one thing added to the mix that I don't know about yet.

No, I don't have it yet and I was thinking exactly the same thing. I can't wait to get the thing so I can really start seeing how I might fit things. I have spent so much time reading articles on this case, threads on builds with this case, videos of the same and water cooling articles and threads, and opinions on parts that my mind wants to explode. lol When I finally have it I will start making some real decisions on water cooling parts. All the builds and articles I have seen are really helpful, but to have the case will make it much more practical in figuring it out.

I am really looking forward on building this system. It will be a lot of fun. Thank you for your help.

Oh yeah, yes I have thought about going with one loop and I have seen some builds with 2 rads, 2 pumps, and sometimes only one res with all that and sometimes 2 res. I guess I need to do some good research on how hot those to GPU cards are going to get. Maybe they won't be as bad as I am thinking even though they will amount to 4 GPUs.

It will make things so much easier in planning. Check a Microcenter if you have one near you....save you the shipping cost and I got my case for $210 when it was on sale, which they seem to run every few months.

zinsco said:
But I have not seen one yet with my cards on crossfire.

The link to Noeru's Blood build has dual pump, dual rad, 1 res and a SLI setup. :thup: He really pushed his rig too and has the numbers at the end of the thread. Just so you dont have to look back...here.

zinsco said:
Anyway, that is why I was thinking on water cooling the ram. Just thinking that that would take out a few fans and maybe a few decibles, but if that is just going to heat up the whole water system and I can't fit enough rads than I guess ram will just have to have some fans.

If you throw the RAM fans onto a fan controller, you really won't have much issue with noise.

Back