• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

custom resivoir for a custom modified case!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

i got my hands on a double wide full tower server case for 10 bucks (that with dual socket p3 mobo, 2 17Gb 10k rpm scsi super 160 drives, and all needed internals) anyways i stripped all that stuff out and am customizing it for a water cooling system for my comp. and also with the help of my graphic artis friend giving the case a huge facelift.

on one side i will have all the rads and pumps and reservoirs. on the other i will have my mobo and all the electronics. that way the electronics are able to sit in a nice cool air stream and all the heat from the rads is kept away from it all.

i am also building a custom dual chamber reservoir. out of two lengths of 2" acrylic tubing and for the ends i have laminated together 4 5"x3" 3/4" pieces of acrylic to make 2 5"x3" 1.5" thick pieces and am drilling fill port holes drain holes and intake and discharge holes for loops that way i have two totaly independent loops.

this is better for me cause it is more expandable, easier to work with later on, and means that i can go with pelt cooling on the cpu at a lator date without worrying in any way about my GPU's.

i will post some pics once my camera is charged and will post regular updates. ......this is gonna be a huge project and the case will hardly be recognizable from what i started with. so naturally i cant w8 to get started on the actual case mods but for now i should be busy enough with work and building this reservoir.

couldn't find my camera and i finished the reservoir at 3 in the morning so i took it to work and used the company camera.
P4090155.jpg

P4090156.jpg

P4090158.jpg

list of tools and materials:
-2 14" 2"O.D. acrylic tubes
-2 3"x5" pieces of 3/4"acrylic
-acrylic solvent (methylene chloride (note VERY TOXIC use only in well ventilated place)
-miter saw with finishin blade
-fine file
-small drill bit to start holes
-7/16" drill bit (thats what size to use with the tap)
-1/4" tapered pipe tap
-pipe clamp (or quick grip clamp)
-lots of patience
-drill press

NOTES:

make sure the ends of the tubes are pefectly flat and square and that tubes are the same length otherwise it will never be water tight

as it is i tested mine by stoppering all the holes ecept one per tube and putting 10 psi in it and submersing it.

NO LEAKES

Last edited:
thats actually because of the flash on the camera it is polished though i do have flush out a bunch of shavings from inside. unless you are talking about the 3/4" plates on top and bottom those i will be rounding off a bit at the corners and then plishing yes.

Neat. Just curious, did you use a drill press on those blocks?

Heh, that pc in the background of the 1st pic is interesting... haven't seen a desktop with a 5.25 floppy in quite a while. :p

oh i used a drill press. should have added that to the list of tools i spose.

ya that comp in that background is the one my boss uses for word processing in word perfect, which by the way i hate cause it never works properly.

Just ask'n... need to get me one of them... drilling free-hand sucks.

Wow, that ole thing is still in use... heh, i used to love those old school "clackaty" keyboards.

Hey, man, great work on the res! :thup:

You can always pick up one those cheapie benchtop drill presses for small projects. No reason to spend $200+ on one - it's not like we're building engines ... ;)

You can always pick up one those cheapie benchtop drill presses for small projects. No reason to spend $200+ on one - it's not like we're building engines ... ;)

Yea, I've been eyeballing 'em for a while now... just don't have that much room left in my garage. ;)

I got to the point in the shop where I made a multi-mount table for my router and miter saw. It takes a few minutes to change them out but I seldom use more than one at a time anyway and the shelf underneath holds the one I'm not using. I think I could fit a drill press into that set-up but I'd have to store it on it's side ... :)

I would like to see the case that is going with..... Great Job thou...I know how hard it is to craft from nothing....but the satification of doing it yourself is priceless

it is rlly satisfying.

i hope to get some pre-mod pics of the case up soon. now is the part that i have alot of experience with thou metal works. then i am gonna fiber glass a better looking front onto the existing front.

Back