• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth the upgrade???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Worth the upgrade??? (CPU block with my Rad)

Ok, see specs in sig. That is a CPU and GPU loop. Would upgrading to a heatkiller help or is this rad saturated with the load Im putting on it... Basically what would be a better upgrade, a PA 120.3/or another thick rad, or will the HK yield a few C difference.

Current fans are Yate Loon High around 1,200RPM daily... I have some panflo's that I just havent put on yet...

Last edited:
what is the max Thermal Dissipation rating on your current rad, and are you at that limit already, or do you have some some headroom that you will bump into by the upgrade?

That is the reason why I created this thread!!! :)

It shows 400W... I would imagine I am around 350 with both overclocked... so its close.

Under the test conditions this indicates that the MCR320 can dissipate in excess of 400 Watts while maintaining a 10°C temperature differential between the coolant and the ambient air.

You are pushing it on the rad but should be all right. Adding another definitely wouldn't hurt. I'd add another before replacing it with a much more expensive rad, TBH. You'd see some difference in temps with the HK. Going from a Fusion v.2 to my XT I got ~3°C. Realistically, you'll gain a few degrees whichever way you go. Whether it's worth it or not is between you and your wallet (heh, and your wife if you're married).

Temps at 4.2Ghz and 1.37v hit the 80's with HT on in 25C room (was 85 here yesterday)so Im topped out there. I have the coin, and the 'approval', Im just not sure which way to go. My PA120.3 was a casulty of the 800d review...I hate myself for this day for that bonehead mistake. Id still be in good shape if it wasnt for that! :(

Ok, so add a rad before a single bigger rad, but improvements all around... great. Decision time...

FWIW, I'm at 4GHz with HT & 1.36v (your chip is golden btw) and IBT puts me in the 75-77°C range. My loop has the XT, an MCR220 and an MCR320 with strong fans running around 7v. Ambient for that is where you are, ~25°C

Full disclosure - She is stable for my needs (gaming for hours, encoding and a hair of rendering), but fails on IBT after about 2 hours and prime for a few (small, but passes belnd for 8). So it may be 1.4 before I get done with her.

I still have my Yate Loon High running at 1200RPM (about 7v myself!) and just didnt get around to putting the panflo's back on to see what those did. Excellent info. TY!

Changing the block would help. By a few C I think. Is the cost worth it to you?

You really need mora raddage to be honest. Or lots more fannage.

Try the new fannage first, maybe push/pull?

Back