• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Which motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgettmann

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have been planning on building my own custom rig. After trolling several different enthusiast forums I am starting to doubt my initial decision on my main board. I would like to confirm that I am making the correct choice in boards before I actually drop the cash for it.

Originally I was looking at the MSI Eclipse Plus, based mainly on the “best of the best” list from maximumpc. But I have seen a LOT of people with complaints about poor overclocking stability and heat problems with the MSI board. On the other hand I have seen decent amount of people that had nothing but positive things to say about the board.

What are the specific reasons to why the Eclipse plus seems to not stack up? And what board would be recommended? Only condition is LGA 1366, planning on using i7 980X. Thank you for any input on this matter.

MSI Eclipse Plus runs for about 400 USD, so anything in that price range. Looking to build something that i can not worry about replacing for several years, just upgrades. Not saying the sky is the limit, but price isn't a factor, quality is.

Last edited:
I have heard nothing but good things about both the stability and customer service of ASUS products...do you think it would be worth the wait for the Rampage III?

I'm hearing the Rampage III will cost nearly $500. Might wait and see what the actual price is just to be sure, but you know it'll be above $400.

EVGA and Gigabyte also make good boards, so might consider their offerings as well.

yes. I was just going to say that. wait for the rampage III, see how the reviews and if they are good u should get it

Gigabyte i heard was good too. EVGA from what i have seen is like playing roulette, if you get a good board from them its great, if you get a bad one their RMA process and customer service is next to worthless.

An extra 100 wont bother me, looking to drop about 3500 +/- a few hundred for the entire rig. The case and motherboard i am not wanting to spare any expenses for. They are the hardest to upgrade or change out.

If you're in no hurry, then wait for the Rampage III. It's gotta be coming soon. I think they went into production a couple of weeks ago, so maybe they'll be ready to purchase in another couple of weeks.

Thank you for the help, and yes, i am not in a hurry. Better to take ones time and do it right in the first place than rush and have to redo it later.

Back