• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to get some advice on a new water build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cleaner450

I have been looking at a symple setup like the Swiftech H2O-220 Ultima XT Liquid Cooling Kit. But as I am doing a bit more research I think I might do everything seperate. I really woulod liek to have the resovior, rad and pump inside my computer desk and the computer out side to stay nice and cool... plus I want to look at it.. :) Anyways... I want some advice on this. I have been looking at the Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 360 for a rad but thats where I have stopped.. Can someone please advice me on what would work well. I will need to add a bit more tubing for the extra little run and I also would like the ability to add a block for my GPU. Thanks fro the help!

The swiftech kit are grat starter kit but you can build your own.

The GTX are good rad but sometime overpriced.

The best bang/buck seems to be the PA120.x from the reviews ive read.

Nothing specific on the component choices but I do have experience with external systems. I'd definitely recommend 1/2" tubing for the external runs if nothing else. The tubing threads and experiments are referring to internal systems or maybe an external rad with limited lengths of tubing. When the tubing runs start getting long tubing size becomes much more important. I use good 1/2x3/4" tubing externally then use thin-walled Tygon (1/2x5/8") and SmartCoils internally so I have more flexibility on the interior runs. That keeps tubing restriction to a minimum ... :)

What about fan speed..? Is the more powerful the better on the ThermoChill PA120.2. I have 2 120 that push Air Flow: 133.60 CFM... Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I dont really care about noise.

Also what kind of fittings do you use when extending the tubing from one size to another? Any links to the best place to get this and the tubing?

With some systems (and it depends on how your tube routing works) you can change the tubing at the first and last component so you don't need a fitting. For my main rig(s) I have short pieces of 1/2" copper pipe I use to go from interior to exterior. it's a little snug but works fine and has almost no restriction. Just use a normal screw clamp to secure it - no barbs needed.

I got my thin-walled Tygon at McMaster-Carr but other places carry it now. I like MasterKleer for my external tubing but that's just a personal preference. Almost anything will work since there are few sharp turns outside the case.

I get my screw clamps at the local auto parts store. They're a little more expensive than the cheapie clamps but stainless steel & brass (not SS only) screw clamps designed for automotive use are re-usable and will last for years in water-cooling loops ... :)

LETS TALK RADIATORS.

You picked a really nice rad that can really dissipate a lot of heat. At a major cost. Your ears. That rad has tighly packed fins. It's measuered in Fins per inch (FPI)

To push the air through it it needs some higher speed fans. Thats your choice.

Please dig into the different rads and what happens withg diffrent fans. This is where you really begin to learn and start understanding charts, Delta T temps etc.

Look at the links I give you, bookmark/fav them. Look at all the proffered awesome non retail crap tests these guys have done, spend ohh more than 1 hour absorbing their sites and the great understanding you will get. TAKE your time. Once that $500+ of stuff is at the door, hopefully it's what you need.

This is just two of many links (hopefully you got 10+ hours on the stickies we provide), as you become informed we'll be able to guide you and not answer the same questions we answer many many times a month. Your not the first guy this year (more like the 25th+) we have helped from scratch. Reading Each post in this subforum from beginning to end would also be a big help to you and us. Also many of the upcoming fittings, pumps, res questions can be found easily enough. Get a drink, spend an hour or two for a week every evening, you'll be golden.

http://www.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

OK so here is a question if I am running a 5850 and cpu in my water set up what would be better cooling... 2 rads with maybe 3 120 fans each or ThermoChill PA140.3. I think for the price of 2 I could get the PA... but I think 2 would be better utilized would you agree?

Doesn't matter whether its 2 or 1, or 3....as long as the radiators are able to dissapate the heat load you are supplying them. Things to consider...do you have the room to fit the 140.3 [if you are going internal]? Possible crossfire in the future?

Skinnee's test results for the pa140.3. The thing is a beast.

Yes I plan on installing everyhting outside of the case. So wouldent 2 rads one for CPU and one for GPU work better then 1 140.3?

The links are great. A nice source for good info. I will be going back to read more and more as the days go on. Let me ask you.. as I was looking around do you know if anyone has ever placed a TEC on a res with of course the hot side being cooled with the proper heat sink? Like the idea of an ice probe... Do those really work? I was thinking to chill that water in the res might be a great way to get even colder temps... whats your thoughts? Thanks again... cheers

Last edited:
Lets not even go there. Your a noob for xtreme cooling and watercooling isn't xtreme. So you have no clue at all. People who go tecs are wayyy past your knowledge and ability. You willing to smoke a mob due to mistakes?

TECs done right are meant for sub ambient cooling. Meaning below freezing. Maybe you mean to go Ln2 and shoot for -170C temps. What do you know about the $100+ special power supplies to supply the current they need or the conformal coatings they use to protect the mobo and CPU socket from ICE forming. It has a tendancy to cause shorts. Making the smoke come out. No workie. I'm sure you understand no workie..........

I'm pretty much done with this. Your reading the headlines of knowledge, but learning nothing but FYI TV types of stuff. Effort and ability gets my input and help.

Have fun. I really hate spending 20 min of my time trying to help and I get this type of reply. I'm soo happy we do get people who appreciate the members input and actually use our suggestions and build geat watercooling rigs.

Toms Hardware is a fun place for the FYI TV folks. Check it out.

Thanks for the info... ohh great one... I dont really care what you expertise is to me this is all very intresting and if my questions make me a noob then cool... I am not intrested in setting a TEC on the cpu for sub temps... just asking if you, since this is your life, know of anyone or have read of anyone who has tried to connect one to a res. no need to get your remarks. I never said you needed to respond to my silly questions but you could not hold back. Therefore your 20 mins was your waste of time and not a noobs. And yes I have had experience with Pelts and I would not be intrested in setting one up on a cpu for many resons. hey thanks again and I hope its makes you feel good to shut people down in a forum..

Thanks for the info... ohh great one... I dont really care what you expertise is to me this is all very intresting and if my questions make me a noob then cool... I am not intrested in setting a TEC on the cpu for sub temps... just asking if you, since this is your life, know of anyone or have read of anyone who has tried to connect one to a res. no need to get your remarks. I never said you needed to respond to my silly questions but you could not hold back. Therefore your 20 mins was your waste of time and not a noobs. And yes I have had experience with Pelts and I would not be intrested in setting one up on a cpu for many resons. hey thanks again and I hope its makes you feel good to shut people down in a forum..

No way in heck would anyone put a TEC on the side of a Acrylic res that has a heat transfer ability of close to nothing. Besides the mounting issues and just ack... OMG. Your welcome to try it.

You need to read, and learn for a few days. Back off and use your head, we have soo many links and info here. I'm not shutting you down but you goatta learn on your own. Otherwise it's futile for us to help. And I know when help is futile.

Just slow down read, hang out. Is your PC broke and you need WC to make it work? Or your just excited like sooo many are, we see it a lot here. WC is a specaial animal and you need to understand the basics. Otherwise we are nothing more than a saleman at Best Buy. We don't give warenties or get payed to help.

I did slam you and oops. Sorry you got offended. Hope it helps. We have helped sooooo many here. You started yesterday? Takes most folks a month or so to even get a clue before ordering parts, well the ones who don't fail. So just slow down, do your homework, and your welcome for the links, hope you use them.

Back