• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 Oc'er with USB 3.0?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

I'm kicking around the idea of spending some money. I'm planning (currently) on a 930 with an OC to around 4.2ghz on air. This machine will have to last me a long while.

I've been lurking the forums, pouring over a wealth of info and now I need to voice a question.

What is the best overclocker with USB 3.0?

I want a board that has 3.0, so I don't have to try to upgrade later down the road and get into the inevitable "I need to upgrade my board, now I need to upgrade my processor, now I need to upgrade ..." logic train. So I'm looking for a great overclock to get my 4.2ghz and have the future ability to use USB 3.0

Wait for the new Rampage III Extreme

asus_rampage3_small.jpg

I'm not sure about the release date but most tech sites have already got a working model and are doing preliminary reviews about it.

If you can't wait:
Gigabyte

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128413

Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614

You would prolly have to sell a kidney to afford that board LOL, just grab the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R as I and many other did, very very good board with USB and SATA 3 onboard, will get you your 4.2ghz and more that your after, its the best x58 clocking board ive owned to date out of 3.

Wait for the new Rampage III Extreme

asus_rampage3_small.jpg

I'm not sure about the release date but most tech sites have already got a working model and are doing preliminary reviews about it.

If you can't wait:
Gigabyte

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128413

Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
Why is there a power cable going into the NB cooling
And there's two aux power ports on that board... and a 4 AND 8 pin CPU connector...?

Why is there a power cable going into the NB cooling
And there's two aux power ports on that board... and a 4 AND 8 pin CPU connector...?

Power hungry mobo. Asus wants to make sure you are getting enough juice for extreme overclocking.

Price isn't so bad. I've heard it should be around $380-$450. It also has the ROG Bluetooth Overclocking connection in which you can overclock the mobo through the supported smartphone.

You can also disable each PCI-E lane if you are running more than one GPU to simplify any error done through overclocking your GPU.

This is will be next mobo matched with the upcoming i7 970 (6-core None Extreme Edition) :attn: :attn:

dont fancy it myself the two molex connectors on the wrong side of the baord mean you are going to have to pretty much drape power cables across the board, and cant quite understand why it has an 2 x 8 pins cpu power connectors (the 4 pin one is an 8 pin with a cap on it), never really been an ANUS fan myself though.

at the end of the day, the NB is still x58 so why the hell would it need its own independant power souce (2 x molex connectors) when pretty much every other manufacturer can do with out it.

umm strange, only one molex showing on this pict of this board, looks like its power for some kind of fan built into that NB hetsink or some usless flashing LED's.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 245
umm strange, only one molex showing on this pict of this board, looks like its power for some kind of fan built into that NB hetsink or some usless flashing LED's.
The second one on the board in that pic is at the bottom of the board mounted sideways to help cable management.

the best solution imo is to just put in a add-in card with both USB 3.0 and SATAIII(if you want it). the best part, its only going to set you back $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995004

From the description on Newegg, it says that cards only compatible with Asus P55 motherboards. It says it requires a x4 slot, but compatible with up to a x16 slot, if it is in a x4 slot will that limit the bandwidth of SATA/USB 3.0? Could of swore someone said that once here.

Looking into getting one myself, just want to make sure I have the facts straight first.

its not only compatible with the asus p55 as far as i can tell and it only has a 4x interconnect so putting it in a 16x slot wont change its performance. most onboard usb3/sata6 controllers are only on a 1x interconnect so this will likely be faster than onboard ones

PCIE is PCIE, what if asus said their NV based video cards were only compatible with certian asus motherboards? as long as you have a x4 or higher slot the card will work..

i was in the same boat your in now, i went with the asus p6x58d premiuem and couldnt be happier, currently i7 930@ 4.01 with 0 issues, im sure it could do higher but my cooling is marginal at best atm..... great board imo

Back