• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600: inexpensive H2O Solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burnt_Ram

Hy all, i have a q6600 on its way, and i want a big OC if the chip will do it, but im sure im going to need a good cooling solution!

im curently using a xigmatek 964, which does a great job on my e8500 @ 4.05, 1.312v. idles @ 40c and loads up at 65-70c max depending on ambient temp. however im affraid tthe Q6600 is going to need a tad more vcore to get anywhere near 3.8-4.0 and the xigmatek isn't goint cut it i'm affraid ..

i ve looked into the Thermaltake Big Water 760i, and the Corsair H50. it looks like they wont be any better than what i have now?

so can you guys suggest individual parts that won't break the bank? tia

You will be hard pressed to get a Q6600, even a G0 to 4Ghz. 3.8Ghz is realistic, 3.6Ghz is likely.

There is no such thing really as a custom watercooling loop that wont break the bank. You are really looking at $200+ for something worthwhile.

With that said, I will defer to the water experts on suggestions and filling in any gaps I left.

The most inexpensive H20 (initial cost) solution, in my opinion, is open looped cooling using an evaporative tower. I made a loop that costed around $150, completely custom. The biggest thing was finding used blocks that were fairly cheap. I had a CPU block, GPU block, and a cheap but decent pump too. Check out my sig Project Humidity for more info.

The most inexpensive H20 (initial cost) solution, in my opinion, is open looped cooling using an evaporative tower. I made a loop that costed around $150, completely custom. The biggest thing was finding used blocks that were fairly cheap. I had a CPU block, GPU block, and a cheap but decent pump too. Check out my sig Project Humidity for more info.

i checked out your project, very interesting. ive never seen a "bong" setup before? so all i need is a good block, pump and bucket plus the bong right?

Bong style coolers have the hidden cost of making your room a LOT more humid.

Just look online for used parts. 775 blocks are become pretty affordable, tubing is cheap, and go with barbs instead of compression fittings.

Ya dont have to buy the most expensive pump either. If youre only cooling the cpu there is no need for a beefy pump. The pump will be the most expensive thing though.

T-lines and a fillport save a lot of money compared to a reservoir.

Bongs are neat. They are labor intensive. They usually have a pretty loud fan to create airflow. They don't work well in humd sitiations. You need to be careful with algea growth since it's an open system. Adding biocides works, but they float in the air and most are kinda bad for your lungs in the long term.

They can give better temps than standard watercooling. The hassles? naa, a fun project, nothing more.

Check my sig, depending on your budget, you should be able to get the same for around $300. The Fuzion block really is a great block, but D-Tek's customer support is practically non existent. I emailed them a couple of months ago about a missing spring, which I would have been willing to pay for, and still have not heard back. The Black Ice GT Stealth is a little on the loud side at 30 FPI, and I wish that I would have gone for the Swiftech MCR320 at around the same price. Other than that, with my GPU in the loop and both GPU and CPU at 100% load folding, I am sitting at around 55C with an ambient at around 26C. Once I get some faster fans on the rad, those temps will likely drop, but I don't expect much with my ambient as high as it is.:thup::comp:

Cheap, I'd look used, and use your imagination.
D5 pump, MC-TDX, Bonneville heatercore with shrouds and fans keep my [email protected] around 50c running IBT. 45c folding. (75f ambient) This is with one of the 2 fans running (unneeded noise). I think ,with everything, it ran about 125.00. The pump was the most expensive part.

ive been looking for used but im in canada and most only want to ship state side.

can anyone suggest a good canadian site. i shop @ ncix.com but their selection is very limited for pumps.

For sure, I suggest Directcanada.com they have way lower price than NCIX!!!!! I ordered all my WC part there.

Ok thanks, i'll check them out.

edit: i checked out the site, can you suggest some parts? pump, block, rad? i dont want to spend more than i have too but i want to be able to keep my Q6600 below 60c in the summer heat (no ac) i plan to OC the crap outta it if it's good chip.

Last edited:
H-20 Ultima kit ( XT double rad + mcp655 is 214$)
Radiator Swiftech Mcr 320
Pumps : Swiftech MCP 355
Res : Swiftech Micro Res rev.2
CPU Block: Swiftech XT
Pump/top combo Blocks - EK-DDC X-Top for mcp355
In total it come to 210$ without barbs/tubing/clamps Had + 30$ for these. Make 240$ total. U have a better rad. But I dont think it is needed for an O.C q6600
So , I recommend the H-20 Kit
i really wanted a kit. you figure the H-20 will do the trick huh. damn good price! i can totally live with that! once my Q6600 G0 gets here i'll see how my Xigmatek HS does but im pretty sure once summer comes i'll need H2O, and that kit is definately in the running!

If the kit is a good price for you then go for it!

If it's still a little on the expensive side you can shave $20 off of that by getting the Apogee GTX, which was a popular block about the time the Q6600 was hitting it's stride. If you're a DIY'er you can save another $30 by moving to a heater core instead of using a rad and $10 using a T-line instead of the MicroRes. I'm not suggesting those parts for performance over what's the kit, that's a good kit, just showing how you could save a little money if you need to ... :)

thanks for all the feeback guys, its appreciated! im pretty sure i'll be getting the Swiftech kit. good starting point i think.

i was looking through my old parts box and came across a 225w TEC ..... hmmm.

Just figured I'd chime in with my latest WC loop configuration.

Swiftech MCP655B - $80 or so two+ years ago
AquaExtreme MP-05 (used for maybe $20 or so)
Home Depot 5 Gallon bucket - $2 - $3 /w lid + $5 or so for two fittings and some plumber's goop

Silent, effective and cheap, also didn't need to mod my case. Of course this won't give you as good of temperatures as a radiator, but has to be one of the easiest external setups. Takes a long time to heat that much water.

Back